One for Bruce.

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

One for Bruce.

Post by DaveW »

Not a particularly good picture as it was taken with a wide angle kit lens hand held on the top of a step ladder! Bruce asked me previously about my seedlings. Here are my 2005 seed sowings still in their 2" pots as I have not pricked them out yet. I find they grow much better undisturbed and crowded for the first couple of years. They are also on the top shelf in full sun which in many greenhouses is said to scorch them.

I suppose you would call my method of seed raising unstudied neglect! And they also went through the winter up there in the unheated greenhouse with just a sheet of newspaper over them in the worst cold snaps, but due to Global Warming or something our winters are not as cold as they used to be when Bruce and I lost much of our original collections. As you can see I had a bit of a blitz on N. American Echinocerei that year and they tend to be more cold tolerant.

DaveW

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks Dave :D .

You have some very healthy looking seedlings there Dave so you must be doing something right ...and how much more satisfying to see your own seed grown plants in flower. I notice there are a couple already in flower at the back and no doubt you'll see quite a few more as the year progresses.

Bruce

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Since this picture is not macro or close-up, we moderators decided to move this topic to here in the General Discussion Forum.

Informative picture, good discussion, please carry on! :D

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Dave, what I want to know is "how many times have you been pricked by spines" 8) . A wonderful picture. makes me drool. I want Irwin (cactuspic) to post a picture of his greenhouse also. I rent so my few windows and my terrarium are my greenhouses :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Never counted, minor pricks are no trouble it is when you drive them in and they break off. When re-potting with some you can handle them reasonably in spite of the spines. A folded newspaper in your hand as a pad but you never get through re-potting without some in you. The best advice when handling them is "hurry slowly" as quick movements can get you impaled.

I guess you devise ways to handle them over the years through trial and error.

I don't grow many of the more anti-social Opuntias though as these can be quite nasty as some have barbed spines.

Here is a couple of pictures of the left and right hand 18' x 3' stagings in my 18' x 12'-6" greenhouse. Not very good pictures I am afraid as they were just snatch shots and I had to use a wide angle lens to get them. The centre bed, about the same width, is just as full.

As you can see I have been re-potting and the paths need sweeping and the greenhouse tidying up! It will give you some idea of what I grow however.

All the best,

DaveW

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Just re-found this posting Dave. Wow - that's some greenhouse you've got there!!! Hey...and I reckon if you rearrange those Mamms a bit you could sqeeze in another 3" pot.... :lol:

A superb collection!

Bruce :D

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Mental note to self: When visiting Dave, do NOT take a quick nap on the shelf in his greenhouse!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I haven't seen this many cacti in the desert! :shock: Astounding collection Dave. :D

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

This is not that big a collection. This greenhouse is 18'-0" x 12'6", a tiny collection to some of your US ones. The biggest UK one I have seen is somebody Bruce may know of - Graham Charles? He has a 4 bay commercial greenhouse just for a private collection, plus a couple of smaller greenhouses for seedlings!

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic