Automatic generation of 3D models from sets of photos

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Automatic generation of 3D models from sets of photos

Post by rjlittlefield »

The folks at GIGAmacro recently sent to me an email containing the following snippet about their activities:
This month's 'out and about' for the GIGAmacro team, TEDx SonomaCounty. We've been TED fans for a long time, but I always thought they were very expensive to attend. Turns out that the local events (TEDx) are not; a mere $40 and well worth checking out if there is one nearby.

We were there at the invitation of our colleague Tatjana Dzambazova from Autodesk who very kindly used high resolution images shot on our prototype 3D imaging system. Her team took the 150 images we shot of an insect; from positions all around the insect, then at a 30 degree angle above and 30 degrees below, and combined the images into a full 3D model of the insect that can be rotated, viewed and zoomed. The photos were produced by our prototype Magnify 3D system (more below).

STOP Press: Tanya's talk has just been published on YouTube
The beetle is discussed starting about 5:33 in the YouTube presentation. The rest of the presentation is well worth watching also.

Reply-to for the email that I received was info@gigamacro.com .

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic