www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Robber Fly Depositing Eggs on Steel Cable
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Robber Fly Depositing Eggs on Steel Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-PeeR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Robber Fly Depositing Eggs on Steel Cable Reply with quote

Somehow I don't think the larva are going to be real happy. Sigma 105 macro on 36mm tubes, 430 EX-II with DIY concave diffuser:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a spectacular picture! How did you come to see this and be in position to shoot it??

Quote:
Somehow I don't think the larva are going to be real happy.

I'm thinking they'll probably be OK. Mommy just took a high-tech spin on normal behavior. According to http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/beneficial/flies/robber_flies.htm:
Quote:
Female Asilidae deposit whitish-colored eggs on low-lying plants and grasses, or in crevices within soil, bark, or wood. Egg-laying habits depend on the species and their specific habitat; most species lay their eggs in masses, which are then covered with a chalky protective coating.

--Rik
A-PeeR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rik. Out for the morning shooting macro and it started getting a wee bit hot so I took a shade break. I noticed Dragonflies perched on the steel cabling of a cattle fence. I thought it might make an interesting macro setting so fired off a shot but the dragon was quick to flight. Not to be deterred, I walked the fence line and noticed all sorts of critters on the cables. Usually I have a hard time sneaking up on robbers but this one was preoccupied and paid me little mind. I crouched and approached very slowly. I fired off a few shots at ~12" to get a feel if it was going to fly off or stick to the task at hand. I kept inching forward shooting shots at different working distances until I got to MFD. Robber was oblivious to the overhead diffuser and my firing off shots. I shot a few frames for stacking but haven't thrown them into Zerene yet. I hope to get to that in the next day or two.

I truly enjoy macro opportunities like this. Not only are you getting a chance to capture a good photograph but you also get to witness extraordinary events through the viewfinder.

Thanks for the link. Reading about the larval feeding habits I don't think they will find much on the cable. Guessing they will have to drop to the ground to find food, water, and shelter.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information. That sounds like a very fun day. All my experiences with robberflies have been like you first describe -- a hard time sneaking up on them.

--Rik
liuto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really spectacular shot! Great!
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an awesome shot! Cool Chances like that don't come around to often, at least for me they don't. Smile
A-PeeR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liuto wrote:
A really spectacular shot! Great!
Thank you for viewing and taking the time to comment liuto.
A-PeeR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Ramos wrote:
That is an awesome shot! Cool Chances like that don't come around to often, at least for me they don't. Smile
Thanks Ken, I appreciate the input. That don't seem to come all that often for me either. I have to say, when I first started shooting macro I'd get so excited I was sure to foul up the shot one way or another. At least now, with some practice under my belt, I have a chance of capturing a decent image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Administrator's Appreciation Gallery...Macro and Close-up Images All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: