Sort of Staghorn algae or ...?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dusko

Sort of Staghorn algae or ...?

Post by Dusko »

I guess I come here only when I have to ID microorganisms out of my tanks :)
EDIT;I would probably post more photos in this forum if I could get hold on to a good but cheap microscope. For that I have to wait.

I noticed those stringy "algae" on the older leaves of the Microsorum pteropus. I guess the plant is leaking some nutrients back into the water column favoring this "algae" if it is an algae :? .

The first and the second photo maybe show two different kind of organisms.
All help in ID-ing these, very much appreciated :)

I did these shots with a reversed 24mm camera lens, hand hold, 1600ASA

Kind regards, Dusko.
Last edited by Dusko on Sun May 13, 2007 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dusko

Post by Dusko »

Hi again,

I am sorry if these kind of questions are not suitable for this beautiful forum, but I do have hard time finding a forum that actually discus microscopic life forms where I could post such threads.
I understand that this is strictly micro/macro photography forum, and I find you all being great and inspiring.
I always feel like I am begging for the answer for IDing micro specimens, and I am not proud of it.

It would really help me alot if some of you could point me out some useful forums about this amazing microscopic world.

Or maybe, just maybe, it would be a good idea to have one forum here that could be called Microscopic life ID, for newbies like me. Just a thought :)
Thanks for understanding.

I wouldn't mind buying Steve Neeley's book but for some reason it is not in stock (popular I guess).

Kind regards, Dusko.

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

No problem with the questions - its the answer that's the problem. A quick dip in my algae book suggests a Stigeocloneum spp, but that may be way out...
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Dusko

Post by Dusko »

Thanks for the reply :)
The quick Google search didn't give much though. I forgot to mention that the algae in photo is approx 1 cm long. If it is some sort of Staghorn algae I might have slight organic waste problem.

Kind regards, Dusko.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic