Site

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

Site

Post by johan »

Hello,

As you may have seen from my forum footer I've put together a bit of a new web-site on what we do over at http://extreme-macro.co.uk and after working on it for far too long on my own I'd sure appreciate more sets of eyes to make sure that what I've written down stands up to scratch and isn't completely bonkers. It has a comment facility so I'm actively seeking comments ie if you have a different perspective, but if you see something not quite right please ping me a mail here and I'll get on the case to correct it.

I've linked to too many member's sites in the relevant pages to count, but if you have info relevant to a topic plz feel free to ping me a mail as well. The search facility is pretty neat because it also searches the content of linked pages, so it's actually quite a good extreme macro search engine on its own. Any links back would of course be massively appreciated.

Thank you for your time

(mods, not sure if this is the right place for this, if inappropriate please move or delete, thanks)
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

conkar

Post by conkar »

A very informative and a site with great layout.

Grats, to a great site with a lot of interesting information!

I suppose you've invested much time and effort to build that site.

So good luck with your site and keep up the good work!

Regards,

Conny

johan

Post by johan »

Thanks Conny, the vote of confidence is massively appreciated!! I've been stressing over the lack of comments by people here (considering the many referrals browsing the site) and wondering if it was so awful people didn't want to comment.

On the flipside though it doesn't cover microscopy much and the level is probably below most people's here, it's a learning site. Yes, it was a huge amount of work, many long evenings writing content and marking it up. Hopefully after Christmas I can actually get round to taking a few pics again, I've been distracted with this far too long.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

An excellent site, just about covers everything; should be the "Go-TO" site for anyone starting out and also should not be ignored by the "old-hands".

I believe it should have an entry on the FAQ forum here, preferably as a "Sticky" with a title such as Extreme Macro and content listing the topics covered as shown on your Home page: Techniques, Lenses, Lighting, etc.

Designation as a sticky is, of course, an Administrative decision.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

canonian

Post by canonian »

It definitly shows your hard labour, Johan.
Every bit of knowledge you gained all these years, is compressed in 1 site.
It's no small feat to put this all in writing and into code, and accompany the info with graphics. A daring project.
I really like the deep layers of subjects, all the content and also the layout.
This site could easily be a reference site for all macro startups and advanced macro-ists.
The macro search is a great piece of code, it pointed me to sites I haven't read before, or overlooked in the massive results Google serves me up.
Last edited by canonian on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I agree it's an excellent site. Happily NOT bloated with the very very basic!

I've not been long behind the curtains here, but it's surprising to see how many visitors we have who don't register, or register and don't post, or (sigh) try to register for unwelcome purposes.

I daresay an extended sticky post of links would have been considered before, perhaps we should review. There's a clear case for a few which pass a high bar of desirability. I can see some potential problems, probably not all of them.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I apologize for not commenting earlier. It's an excellent site and I've started pointing people to it in personal communications.

I have had some trouble accessing the site, however. Right now I'm getting long pause followed by a page that says "504 Gateway Time-out".

--Rik

johan

Post by johan »

Yeah, I'm on this snazzy new 'business platinum' package on Britain's largest hosting company which is actually very good, but not without occasional hiccups. I've noticed that when the nightshift is on (it's 11pm here which is mid afternoon+ US time I think) the tech support isn't as fast, and it takes them longer to fix downtime - like the gateway problem that stopped access for 44 mins this evening. And last night too. Kind of annoying, but I'm in tech myself and things do go wrong. C'est la vie.

I just really would like to thank you all for your very encouraging comments, it means a heck of a lot to me, it really does. It's a bit overwhelming actually. I've tried hard to get this right knowing that the crowd from here wouldn't expect anything less, you guys were always going to be my toughest judges. As I said, if you see something that's not right, or could do with added info, or links to other data, just feel free to ping me a mail. I'm very open to input, especially quality information.

Lastly, I hope I don't sound needy but I would like to re-request something, as I'm genuinely dismayed by the prospect of doing this work for it not to be found by people. Links from your sites to any of the pages on this site would be massively, massively appreciated, it really would.

Thank you all... back to the dreaded css...

johan

Post by johan »

Small update! Just for giggles I entered the webby awards, which is a kind of 'Oscars for the web'. Anyhow the finalists were announced today, so that's down to a couple of hundred out of 25,000 sites that were entered or so, and erm extreme-macro.co.uk is a nominee. Which is kind of supernice and made my day!

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Congratulations.
But did you notice the category? :roll:
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

johan

Post by johan »

It's hip to be "weird" :) Actually it costs quite a bit to enter, and this was half the cost of the others so I put it here.

pontop

Post by pontop »

Great site with lots of information and tips. I like your descriptions of various homemade accessories, but would really like to see more pictures of them. From different angles and perhaps a few closeups. As someone who likes to construct things myself I like to look at how other people have approached a certain problem (and sometimes steal an idea or two).

Cheers

Bo

johan

Post by johan »

ok, good point thank you, will work on that going forward!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic