Psychedelic new forms added

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

I thought I'd take advantage of the 90 degree lighting capability of the BH2-UMA and explore the interference patterns from oil on water. Its very trippy. Taken with Neo Splan 5x and LED lighting in place of the halogen unit.

Last edited by Linden.g on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JH

Post by JH »

Made my day!
Regards Jörgen

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

That enormous beauty!!!

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Beautiful wow :wink:

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

great!
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

Stefano B

Post by Stefano B »

beaufiful shots! :D

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Thanks for the kind comments. The variation of structure is almost endless.

Bruce Taylor

Post by Bruce Taylor »

Those are incredible! :D
It Came from the Pond (Blog): http://www.itcamefromthepond.com/

harisA

Post by harisA »

Impressive images.
Are this taken with epi illumination?
What exactly we see in the images? a mixture of oil and water or something else..

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Beautiful and ineteresting images !

Marek

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

harisA wrote:Impressive images.
What exactly we see in the images? a mixture of oil and water or something else..
I'm using a BH2-UMA the set-up is here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=22147
The shapes are due to a very thin layer of hydrophobic liquid residue left behind from evaporated gasoline on the surface of water. The colors are due to the interference caused by white light bouncing off the top and bottom boundary interfaces. Oil/air and oil/water. As the more volatile solvents evaporate the oil layer gets thinner and this shifts the colors seen. Surface tension, curved edges and particles all impact the thickness of different parts of the floating droplets which all adds to the complexity. This is a similar effect as seen in soap films.
Last edited by Linden.g on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

harisA

Post by harisA »

Linden.g wrote:
harisA wrote:Impressive images.
I'm using a BH2-UMA the set-up is here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=22147
The shapes are due to a very thin layer of hydrophilic liquid residue left behind from evaporated gasoline on the surface of water. The colors are due to the interference caused by white light bouncing off the top and bottom boundary interfaces. Oil/air and oil/water. As the more volatile solvents evaporate the oil layer gets thinner and this shifts the colors seen. Surface tension, curved edges and particles all impact the thickness of different parts of the floating droplets which all adds to the complexity. This is a similar effect as seen in soap films.
Thank you Linden althought there is one final issue puzzling me.These colour effects are due to light from above (epi illumination)or you illuminate your specimen with the aid of an external light source(as seen in your setup photo)

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

wow, super !

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Sorry for the confusion, I'm using the side lighting only when I need to balance the flat epi light but in the case of the oil it's not used. I'm using the direct epi (bright field) without the analyses polarizer.

Linden

harisA

Post by harisA »

Thank you Linden.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic