Inner life of a cell video

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Inner life of a cell video

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_H1S9d5h-Ps

This will be of more interest to the microscopists here. I found it interesting, but didn't know what was going on about 80% of the time!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This movie was mentioned on the Yahoo Microscope group as well.

It is currently available at http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/ . The quality seems a bit higher there. They also provide a download link for what I presume is a higher quality .mov file. It is 144 MB. I'm still waiting for my download to complete.

I found this to be a fascinating flick, though I'm guessing a lot of the time too, about what's being depicted.

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yep, the downloaded version looks good even at full screen.

Both this version, and the version I linked above, and the version on YouTube, are all just set to music.

However, there is a narrated version with an explanation of what's going on at http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/media.html. (Caution: fluent cytobiology required to understand the narrator!)

This site does not seem to allowing download to save, only to play, so you have to pick the right version depending on the speed of your comm line.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I found the last link to be very informative and quite awesome to tell the truth. On GMA (Good Morning America) the showed a brief clip of the Harvard link while discussing it with one of the professors, I believe. It seems that these animations are to or soon will become widely used throughout all levels of education in the biological sciences. A very interesting post here Mike, thanks for bringing all this to our attention and thank you Rik for providing the extra links to further define the post. All of these links were awesome. :smt023

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Thanks for the narrated clip, Rik. I'm up from understanding 10 or 20% of what I'm seeing to maybe 1/3 of what I'm seeing. But at least I know what it is called now! :-)
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic