www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Inner life of a cell video
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Inner life of a cell video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Inner life of a cell video Reply with quote

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_H1S9d5h-Ps

This will be of more interest to the microscopists here. I found it interesting, but didn't know what was going on about 80% of the time!

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie was mentioned on the Yahoo Microscope group as well.

It is currently available at http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/ . The quality seems a bit higher there. They also provide a download link for what I presume is a higher quality .mov file. It is 144 MB. I'm still waiting for my download to complete.

I found this to be a fascinating flick, though I'm guessing a lot of the time too, about what's being depicted.

--Rik
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the downloaded version looks good even at full screen.

Both this version, and the version I linked above, and the version on YouTube, are all just set to music.

However, there is a narrated version with an explanation of what's going on at http://multimedia.mcb.harvard.edu/media.html. (Caution: fluent cytobiology required to understand the narrator!)

This site does not seem to allowing download to save, only to play, so you have to pick the right version depending on the speed of your comm line.

--Rik
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the last link to be very informative and quite awesome to tell the truth. On GMA (Good Morning America) the showed a brief clip of the Harvard link while discussing it with one of the professors, I believe. It seems that these animations are to or soon will become widely used throughout all levels of education in the biological sciences. A very interesting post here Mike, thanks for bringing all this to our attention and thank you Rik for providing the extra links to further define the post. All of these links were awesome.
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the narrated clip, Rik. I'm up from understanding 10 or 20% of what I'm seeing to maybe 1/3 of what I'm seeing. But at least I know what it is called now! :-)

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: