Are the old forums gone?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Are the old forums gone?

Post by Charles Krebs »

Tried to look back to an old post and could not get into the old forums.
Are they history?

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I tried to get into photomacrography.net directly (without the "2") and it does indeed look like the whole site is now gone! *sniff* :smt022

Actually, they were still around a couple of weeks ago, and I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. Inevitable and unfortunate side effect of our migration.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Danny

Post by Danny »

What !!!. I'm looking at them right now in another tab. Check again. It might have just been down for a little while. :D

I am having another issue with who the registrar is for the URL name, registerfly.com. That may well lead to problems which are effecting all users of registerfly.com.

The old forum is on a secure server and that will stay. Depending on the action suit between ICANN and registerfly.com, the url name might well end up in limbo for quite some time. Completely out of my control unfortunately. I'm trying to transfer the url "photomacrography.net" to another registrar, but I'm not sure if this will work. Registerfly.com is going through legal actions and all the URL's I hold with them have been locked. I'm not the only one though, so are hundreds of thousands of others :roll: :twisted:

Never mind. Where photomacrography.net is on a server, well thats safe and the whole site will stay.

All the best.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Oops, I've got problems with it now as well. :roll: Looking into it.

Danny.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Very strange...I'm looking at it now and getting a placeholder page with links to "graphy photo", "cartoon network game" and "infusion pump", among other things!

I hope it becomes available again before long! Sounds like this may be related to the legal troubles Danny mentioned.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Mike B in OKlahoma

Ah, Danny and I cross-posted!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

Danny

Post by Danny »

A little bit of what I'm going through Mike

http://www.internic.net/registrars/registrar-821.html

http://www.registerfly-lawsuit.com/

Not very interesting reading at all, but I'm living it at the moment :twisted: :wink: and its not nice M8t.

A small read for ya
RegisterFly.com customers have been denied the ability to transfer or renew domain names and many have lost their domain names as a result. RegisterFly has transferred many individuals' domain ownership to its own name to prevent people from fleeing the site. Furthermore, RegisterFly has charged many individuals for services that have not been delivered, causing a great deal of heartache for individuals who did not know if they were going to lose their domain names, their livelihoods, or any one of myriad injustices.

RegisterFly's conduct has had substantial, and in many cases severe, impact on individuals and business that currently have domains held by RegisterFly. Repeated efforts by many customers to resolve issues with RegisterFly have proven fruitless. People are continuing to lose their hard won livelihoods as a result of RegisterFly's egregious behavior.

I'll try and sort it out but it might all have to wait until the law suits are over :roll: .

All the best and sorry folks.

Danny <----Asking, why me 8)
Last edited by Danny on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Uh-oh. I hope the actual files of the old website are preserved and kept track of. Would be a shame to have them carted off when registerfly.com's servers are siezed by a creditor or something!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

Danny

Post by Danny »

Sooooo

The url of the server itself is http://67.15.179.25:80/~photomac/

And the problem is that everything past that front page is linked to a photomacrography.net url. Of course that domain name expired today and there is nothing that will bring that back until that law suit is settled ..... some how :roll:

Yes, I've paid them for two years in advance as I always do, they have accepted the money, they always do. So where does that leave the old forum.

Yes I've tried emailing and phoning registerfly.com .....at 3am in the morning here :roll: . 9 emails in total over the past few weeks. I left 6 tickets in the setup of my urls........nothing, absolutely nothing happens.

Yes I've tried transferring the URL to another registrar. Problem, I need a code from yep, registerfly to allow the transfer. You guessed it, its locked.

Not a lot we can do really when all the links from the old forum point to that url.

Thats about the size of it folks. Sorry.

Danny.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Not into domain names etc, but just spotted this on the Web:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RegisterFly

http://www.registerflies.com/class-acti ... aring.html

DaveW

Danny

Post by Danny »

LOL, I just have to laugh Dave, otherwise it will drive me nuts mate :wink: Thanks for the links, looks like more reading ahead. Interesting Dave, thanks.

BTW, even my personal site is with them as well :roll: :roll: So that name might end up going as well.

Danny.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

nzmacro wrote:The url of the server itself is http://67.15.179.25:80/~photomac/

And the problem is that everything past that front page is linked to a photomacrography.net url. Of course that domain name expired today and there is nothing that will bring that back until that law suit is settled ..... some how :roll:
It's only a start, but go to http://67.15.179.25:80/~photomac/forum/, and maybe it'll brighten your day a bit.

A lot of the internal links are still broken, including the ones that get images and avatars from the photomacrography.net server.

But search works, so you can get at the basic text in the forums and most images stored on other servers.

--Rik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Anyone have a back up copy???????
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

beetleman wrote:Anyone have a back up copy???????
Yes, but recovering from this problem is not as simple as restoring a backup.

Everything still exists on Danny's server.

The problem is that every link to "photomacrography.net" now goes to the wrong place. Some of those links are embedded as text in html files, others live as text in the database, still others are generated on the fly as the forum software runs.

Most of this can get sorted out, but it'll take a few days. Stay tuned...

--Rik

Danny

Post by Danny »

Yes, Rik has been in touch and I just need a bit of time to maybe sort out a new domain name for it.................with another company :wink: and then Rik can have access to the server its on. At least thats safe.

So a huge thanks Rik :wink: and I'll get back to you on that one very soon. Thanks M8t :D

Danny.

BTW, I've also started downloading the entire database for it. I have no idea what some of those images are doing on there though :lol:

Danny.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic