Tiyoda Microscope Objectives

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

peterkinchington

Post by peterkinchington »

Does anybody know about Tiyoda Microscope Objectives and their quality? Tiyoda ceased production in 1976 it is a Japanese Company and their microscopes looked well made (somewhat zeiss like). The objectives are based on a 160mm tube length - I may have an opportunity to pick up a set of their P objectives.
Regards Peter
Try, try again. Fall down nine times get up ten.
www.peterkinchington.com

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

If you look in the ancient texts you will find that Tiyoda was listed as one of the manufacturer's who could be relied upon to deliver an accurately made and assembled microscope. This has been my experience with one extensive microscope outfit which was a copy of the Zeiss Lumipan (1950s vintage) as well as with a number of Tiyoda items that made their way through my collections. They were all of perfectly acceptable quality.

This included brightfield , dark field and phase contrast and some illumination accessories. I never shot pictures through any of the Tiyoda gear because I had Leitz gear at work. But the visual image was better than I expected it to be.

If the price and apparent condition are right, go for it. Give it the items a good inspection because of their age.

peterkinchington

Thanks g4lab,
I'll certainly follow up on the tiyoda objectives. I also used to use a large leitz research microscope at work in the early 1980's. They were certainly a lovely microscope.
Cheers Peter
www.peterkinchington.com

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Peter,
Some time ago I asked a vendor about some listed Tiyoda objectives and he told me that they were for short barrel (JIS ?) microscopes.
Also be aware that almost for sure they will need corrective eyepieces, so I think they will not be useful as macro lenses on bellows.
Pau

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

They are pre-JIS. They should be parfocal within a set. They work with regular Huyghens oculars, at least all the ones I had did. They are 160mm tube length. Saying they are short barrel probably refers to parfocal distance from shoulder to object plane. Probably 37mm or even less.

Huyghens oculars have a blue CA ring at the periphery. Most Compensating oculars have a yellow ,orange or red ring.

I would guess that they probably copied or licensed objective designs from Zeiss since so much of their gear looks just like Zeiss. So if you came across some more corrected objectives such as fluorites or apos (They were mostly pre Plan too) you could probably use a Zeiss or Bausch and Lomb Compensating ocular and be pretty close. Most Huyghens oculars seem pretty interchangeable.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I have a few low power objectives made by Tiyoda (3x, etc). The center is sharp but corners are weak enough that they've never made it into any of my shootouts. I have no idea about their higher power objectives...

peterkinchington

Thankyou Colleagues - for the above information.
www.peterkinchington.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic