Testing new setup, mix of stacks

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

daemonoropsis

Testing new setup, mix of stacks

Post by daemonoropsis »

I have been building a new setup for a while as my old one had to much vibration and thought I would share a few of my first stacks done with it.

Mitutoyo 20x on 200mm tube lens + 1.4tc

Mitutoyo 10x on 200mm tube lens

mitutoyo 20x on 200mm tube lens + 1.4tc

mitutoyo 10x on 200mm tube lens + iris, last shot stopped down
Last edited by daemonoropsis on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

babilon76

Post by babilon76 »

Wonderful setup and very nice presentation!!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent in all respects!

I've added this thread to the FAQ list of setups, HERE.

--Rik

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

Cool ;)

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Very nice! :smt023

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Very nice setup! :shock:

Rogelio

Skidmarks

Post by Skidmarks »

Hi Daemonoropsis

I wonder if you may be able to give a bit more information on your setup detailed above.

Could you give me some more details on how your stackshot is connected to the breadboard, that is more details on the rail types used and how they are connected to the breadboard and exactly what clamps you have used to connect the stackshot to the rail.

I would like to use the same connections but I am struggling to locate the items in the UK.

Cheers

Ian

abpho

Post by abpho »

Wow. Good stuff Daemonoropsis.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Skidmarks wrote:Could you give me some more details on how your stackshot is connected to the breadboard, that is more details on the rail types used and how they are connected to the breadboard and exactly what clamps you have used to connect the stackshot to the rail.
Ian, welcome aboard!

Daemonoropsis has not been on the forum for several months so I'll take the liberty of providing what info I can.

In the photos, the rails are labeled "Hejnar Photo". That probably means they come from either http://hejnarphotostore.com/‎ or from Hejnar's eBay store at http://stores.ebay.com/Hejnar-Photo. Either way, you should be able to get international shipping.

I can't see that any of the clamps are labeled in the photos, but I'd guess they're from Hejnar Photo also. The bottom of the StackShot rail is machined to be compatible with Arca clamps and also is tapped with both 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 holes, so there are several options for clamps. I can't tell exactly what clamps Daemonoropsis is using. A pair of Hejnar's F51 Dual Side Clamp with Independent Jaws would certainly do the trick, though that's probably not the cheapest way to go.

I hope this helps!

--Rik

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

Hi All

Sorry I havent been active for a few months, a new job, new house and a depression will do that to you ; )

My setup and camera has been completely taken apart and has been lying in a box for about 6 months so I'll have to do this from memory.

All the rails are from Hejnar and the ones mounted on the breadboard are simply upside down (the rails will accept clamps on both bottom and top) and attached to the the breadboard with captured screws. I think I used 3-4 screws per rail (im big on overkill)

I used Hejnars double clamps (http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.p ... cts_id=174) to attach the stackshot, I used 2 (again overkill, one would be just fine). Like Riks says, the bottom of the stackshot will accept arca clamps.

The two stages on the specimen mounts are different makes, one is one of Hejnars excellent 25mm rails (http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.p ... cts_id=181) the other is a crappy manfrotto 454 rail which I really wont recommend to anyone (I just could afford to upgrade it to something decent at the time.)

I dont know if and when I return to this sort of photography or photography at all but if I do all try to remember to do some detail shots if people want it.

Regards Morten

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

G'day daemonoropsis,

I just wanted to thank you for your idea of the arca-swiss rig. I have copied it and can vouch that mine is flexible, stable and easily modifiable.

The hardest part for me has been the xy stage. Like in your rig two vertical rails, back to back, provide the basic support for the stage. I've tried a few macro rails for xy movement (the Hejnar macro rail is great) and have considered getting a Hejnar micrometer rail for the y-axis but for half the price I've opted for a pair of used Newport TSX-1D dovetail stages. Hopefully they will have enough precision (20 tpi)? Anyway the moral is that once again the "cheaper" solutions have worked out to cost more in the long run.

Your images are some of my favourites.
Geoff

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the shots. I too have built a rig using an optical bread board
and love it. I am dialing in my system and once I do, I will show
shots of my setup.

Great work!!

Mike

Ed Davis

Breadboard size?

Post by Ed Davis »

Anyone know the size of the board in Daemonoropsis's post? It looks like it might be 18x24, but I'd like a confirmation.

Thanks.
Ed

abpho

Post by abpho »

I think this is the series based on the above image. It's roughly 2 foot x 1.5 foot in size. Hole spacing is 1".

Part number: PBG11118
LINK
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Ed Davis

Post by Ed Davis »

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, that's a bit too pricey for me. I thought I saw one the same size very recently for $200 less, and I thought even THAT ONE would be difficult for me to justify. Oh well, I will keep looking.

Thanks for the effort.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic