A thin section by the needle of the Schwarzkiefer

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Erik

A thin section by the needle of the Schwarzkiefer

Post by Erik »

Hello Microcopists,

I reads already one while with you also. After some days as registered participants comes now my first picture. This concerns a thin cut (20µ) by the needle of a Schwarzkiefer. The cut was colored following with Etzold.

I hope it find favours.

Many greetings Erik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Erik, welcome to the forums! :D

If I understand correctly, this is a cross section of the needle of a European Black Pine tree.

It is beautifully prepared and photographed -- great detail. How did you cut the section? What power and NA objectives did you use?

Thanks for posting -- we look forward to seeing many more! :D

--Rik

Erik

Post by Erik »

Hello Rik, thank you for the nice words.

"... How did you cut the section? ..."

I used an old microtome for students of E. Jung from Heidelberg (100 years old).

The needle of the Black Pine Tree is inserted first into AFE and been to to cut into elder Marks. AFE consists of alcohol, glacial acetic acid and Formalin (10: 1: 1).

"... What power and NA objectives did you use? ..."

I use an older microscope of Carl Zeiss Jena (earlier GDR, type Jenalab-Pol). For the first picture I used a 6,3x plan achromatic objective, for second a 50x plan apochromatic objective. Both photos free-handle taken up by the eyepiece with a Olympus C-40.

Erik

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wonderful pictures Erik, beautiful colors and excellent structures and shapes. Welcome to the forums Erik (extending hand out in greetings) :wink: You have an excellent first post here and we hope to see many more :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You guys with all this fancy cutlery, outstanding work Erik, beautifully done :smt023 and welcome to the forums. :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Erik... welcome!
As the other have said, beautiful preparation and images! It's looks like a wonderful abstract stained glass window.

Erik

Post by Erik »

Thank you for the cordial welcome.

"... and we hope to see many more ..."

I will try it “class instead of mass” to deliver here.

Many greetings

Erik

my homepage:

http://www.mikroansichten.de

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic