Hoodwinked By My Own Lens

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Hoodwinked By My Own Lens

Post by Harold Gough »

This little tale, which came to a happy end this morning, may amuse some members.

I have been assembling my gear for a trip at the end of this month and, concurrently, calibrating a new lens with my flash setup, to use on the trip.

My E-P2 m4/3 camera has an appalling Live View rear screen, which is very difficult to use in some (common) outdoor lighting conditions and for macro. To my horror, I realised that I had omitted the removable VF-2 which gives greatly improved performace over that of the rear screen. I fitted it to the camera so that I was sure to take it on the trip.

Unfortunately, I had then to remove the VF-2 to vacate the hotshoe and allow the flash to be used. To my certain knowledge, I placed the VF-2 safely in the correct camera bag.

Then I went out to a WW2 European battle re-enactment and was unable to find the VF-2 to use it. I searched all my camera bags and all the places where I swap lenses, etc. I had to do the shoot mostly on framing the shot and relying on AF.

I was getting worried and made a note of a mail order seller who had one for the very low price of £135, the Ebay price being between £200 and £300. I also put a low-start-price one on my Ebay Watch list.

I had further sessions of searching all my four camera bags and other relevant places. This morning, I did another search, once more lifting lenses out of bags and replacing them. I then started to tidy this office. Things were getting serious!

The search turned up a little collection of step rings which had been put aside some time ago. I then listed them and started checking on those attached to lenses. As I picked up my Elmarit 60mm macro which, unusually, was stored with its 62mm hood fitted, there was a small movement and a faint bumb as sometihing fell out of the hood. It was the VF-2! The fit was such that, if I lifted the lens gently, it had stayed lodged inside the hood. A slightly shakier grip this time performed the finale of the magician's trick and the viewfinder reappeared.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Haha. Awesome. And your making some money selling those adapters. Cool. And what a relief.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

abpho wrote: And your making some money selling those adapters.
Not me! :x

Harold

canonian

Post by canonian »

Your story put a big smile on my face Harold, the situation is all to familiar to me :roll:
I keep losing stuff in the same manner. (read: get organised!)
9 out of 10 times I find it back, on places you cannot imagine. Backtracking often helps.
I'll only start to worry when optics and stuff are found back in the fridge or other very unlikely places.:D

Good thing you found it, are you stuck with two now?

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I knew that, at the latest, it would turn up within hours of purchase of a replacement. :roll:

Harold

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I put a 70-180 micro Nikkor "somewhere safe" about 3 years ago, and haven't seen it since.
I checked the fridge, but that only had the television remote controller.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Somewhere in this room, a Wild x20 bright field microscope objective, probably on an RMS to Canon FD mount adapter, was put aside a couple (or was it three, maybe four) years ago.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic