Long Beach CA

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tpe

Long Beach CA

Post by tpe »

Hi All, The wife is speaking at a conference in Longbeach at the very end of april, beginning of may. The geography around longbeach looks extreemly diverse, but it is kind of hard to find spots to get nature and macro shots from google maps. A local whose oppinions I trust has reccomended the following.

1. Almost any beach from Santa Barbara in the north to San Diego in the south. Special spots I like include Point Mugu, the Palos Verdes Peninsula (very close to Long Beach), and La Jolla (near San Diego).
2. Santa Catalina Island.
3. Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area.
4. Mt. San Jacinto State Park.
5. San Bernardino Mountains.
6. Angeles National Forest.

So far we will try and take in the first three. We will hire a car at LA airport. We still need to find a hotel within a couple of hours driving distance from LA international airport for the first two nights the rest of the time we will based at Long Beach. The list of places we have to see is not a bug collectors list or naturalists oppinion, perhaps there is someone here who can give some first hand experience as to where to visit first and help correct this list? In my experience first hand experience is invaluable and not to be found anywhere else. So if there is someone here that can help I would really appreciate the experteese as this is a one in a lifetime oppertunity for us.

Barring accidents we will post some pics of the results of the trip after the return.

Thanks

Tim

apsphoto

Post by apsphoto »

Well there is a lot to see and do in the area. I am not sure what you are looking to photograph/visit. Near Long Beach is a really nice bird and wildlife refuge called Bolsa Chica, it is just south of Long Beach, that time of year the terns will be arriving and nesting in large colonies, along with Black Skimmers and various shore birds. There are many resident raptors and other birds.

For just scenic areas there is lots of coastline that may interest you, Laguna Beach has some nice areas, and Palos Verdes, Santa Barbara.

Inland several hours drive is Joshua Tree National Park.

It would really help to know what your main interests are and how much time are you allocating to photography/visiting.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

tpe

Post by tpe »

Hi Alan

Thankyou for the very nice answer. It is a difficult question knowing what sort of things to look at. For me this is a once in a lifetime oppertunity to see something other than the Danish fauna.

I think we have to go out to the desert a little and see some reptiles, and hopefully avoid getting bitten by any. But everything in California is exotic for us. So although I guess I will still be looking for insects much of the time the bird and wildlife refuge you mention is definatly going to have to go on the list.

I am not sure coastline for coastlines sake is going to be a major goal for me but I have the feeling the better half will want that more than I do.

We will only be there for a week so we are kind of limitied with respect to how far from Long Beach we can stray. The better half is there for a conference and she will kind of expect me to turn up every evening so will probably need to be home each day by supper time which is kind of a shame as there are so many places such that all seem to be just out of reach in half a days drive.

It is difficult to know just how far to aim for if getting back the same day is a necessity.

apsphoto

Post by apsphoto »

Tim,

Well that helps. For bugs that are an easy drive from Long Beach during the day, are the Los Angeles Arboretum, then in Orange County is the Fullerton Arboretum, this one is much smaller and less diverse than the Los Angeles one. Midweek traffic can be a real problem and can add hours to your travels. When it gets closer I can help with some commuting information.

Bolsa Chica is quite close to Long Beach and will not involve a lot of traffic, I can also help with routing once you have a plan. Joshua Tree would be difficult to do as a partial day trip.

When it gets closer perhaps I can help with a day trip or at least with planning and routing.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Tim,

I live north of Long Beach and south of Santa Barbara and would suggest either Descanso Gardens or Huntington Gardens for flora. I don't remember ever seeing an insect at Huntington Gardens though. The Natural History Museum has a butterfly pavilion (http://www.nhm.org/site/explore-exhibit ... y-pavilion).

I discovered a site tonight that might give you some ideas: (http://www.socalphotoopps.blogspot.com/)

If you haven't ever driven around the Los Angeles basin, be prepared to spend more time than you can imagine getting from one place to another.

Keep posting your ideas and plans and those of us in Southern California can try to help you.

Roy

cappo

Post by cappo »

I would suggest Topanga State park or Malibu Creek state park, both belong to the Santa Monica Mountains Rec area. A lot of insects, birds and maybe some wildlife. A desert trip does sound doable. I dont know too many locations in the Mojave desert, Red Rock state park comes to mind.

Let us know when the date gets closer what you're plans will be.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I'm always happy to see suggestions for things to go see and do.

I do wonder, though, if recent posters have noticed that the original request was for 2012, a full year ago now.

--Rik

cappo

Post by cappo »

rjlittlefield wrote:I'm always happy to see suggestions for things to go see and do.

I do wonder, though, if recent posters have noticed that the original request was for 2012, a full year ago now.

--Rik
OOPS :oops:
sorry about that.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

No problem! After all, it is April 1. The web is chock full of minor oddnesses today! :wink:

--Rik

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Perhaps the original poster should present a small travelogue for those of us who didn't pay attention to the dates.

Roy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic