Slides, slips 'n bulbs

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Planapo

Slides, slips 'n bulbs

Post by Planapo »

With my microscope complete and DIC, with Charlie's great help, now properly set-up and running, I need to shop for these little but important things. And after a bad shopping experience with rubbish microscopic slides that were advertised as "best quality", I would like to ask you, the experienced photomicrographers and microscopists of our nice community on pmg.net, what specific high quality slides and cover slips you use and where you buy them from.

Cover slips: I've read that with photomicrography one should pay attention to use cover slips as close as possible to the 0.17 mm thickness that the objectives are corrected for and that some therefore even measure the thickness of their slips and clean the good ones to use them again.

Regarding slides: I would like quality ones with round, ground edges to not scratch my scope's stage surface and to not have glass splinters all over the place. I would further prefer slides larger than the standard 1" x 3" size. So far I could not find a source where to buy such larger, good quality round grounded slides. Preferably I would like to buy at this side of the big pond, but am prepared to order a larger number (to keep shipping costs reasonably appropriate) from overseas.

Halogen lamp bulbs: I read in the BHS's manual that I need "12V 100W HAL-L" lamps. The ones I've found are those: OSRAM "Xenophot HLX 64625 12V 100W"
http://www.ebay.de/itm/5-x-Osram-Xenoph ... 27bf95d76e
I've found out that these Osram lamps are used with microscopes, but would you recommend them (for the BHS) or should I get something else?

Thanks in advance for your input.

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I bought large slides and coverslips from ted pella;

http://www.tedpella.com/histo_html/slides.htm

seems they have distributors in Germany.

Make sure your BHS has the larger sized clips for holding the large slides
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

The Olympus bulb # for the BHS is 8-C406 (Phillips #7724JC)

The ones you mentioned has different specs... slightly brighter and slightly higher color temp, but vastly shorter "burn time". You can see the specs on these pages:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl ... ympus.html
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl ... osram.html (copy and paste full URL)

We once talked about cover slips here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=67868

I really prefer 2x3" slides with 24x50mm coverslips.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Tony, Charles, thanks for your help.

I'm glad that I asked as otherwise I would have gotten me the wrong Osram bulbs. Donsbulbs.com provides the info that Osram #64623 matches with the original Olympus. They are readily available over here.

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view

discomorphella

Post by discomorphella »

Ted Pella is a great source. You can also find professional grade slides (Corning, Gold-Seal etc) at Electron Microscopy Sciences (www.emsdiasum.com). I also will occassionally get new, unopened boxes of Gold Seal slides, though typically 25x75 mm, through ebay. I do find that unless you get the premium brands of slides, you will end up cleaning each and every one prior to using them, even if they advertise being "precleaned". Likewise for coverslips. I try to find# 1 1/2 coverslips that are very close to 170 microns, but for the larger sizes that I like to use, such as 22x40 or 22x50 I often end up using #1 instead since they are easier to find.
It will help to get some good (reagent, electronic or LCMS) grade isopropanol or ethanol for cleaning both slides and lenses. I find that a 50% isopropanol solution is great for cleaning off already used slides.
Have fun,

David

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

David, Thank you for the further, helpful information!
I hope that soon I will have all parts together to finally do photomicrography, and then expect to join the club of meticulous glass cleaners. :D

--Betty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic