Face of a dragon?

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Face of a dragon?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Maybe I've been reading too much fantasy and science fiction, but this face just strikes me as looking like a mythological dragon. Even the eyes are glowing! :shock:

I don't recall any of the fantasies mentioning antennae, though -- particularly antennae whose bases are so clearly ball-and-socket joints, with the opening of the socket being a linear slot instead of the traditional round hole!

Any guesses about ID? (Beetleman, you should get this one! :D )

--Rik

Canon 300D with Olympus 38mm macro at f/4, stacked at 0.001" focus step, Helicon Focus.

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Great picture, I think it is a weevil.

Wim

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Wim van Egmond wrote:Great picture, I think it is a weevil.

Wim
Nah, it's a wart hog :roll:

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Wim beat me to it. It is some sort of snout beetle. You cannot mistake a face like that....very nice headshot Rik. :wink: (it does look like a wart hog ) :lol:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Right you are! It's a weevil / snout beetle. These things work over a variety of plants in my garden. Mostly they eat notches in the edges of leaves, but they also have a great fondness for the fruits of strawberries. I get a little grouchy about that, but they never occur in large enough numbers to cause too much trouble, so we just coexist.

I don't know the exact ID. They look a lot like the Broad-nosed Weevils in genus Otiorhynchus as pictured at http://bugguide.net/node/view/7479.

--Rik

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

This is a very interesting shot. I love facial portraits of weird critters!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Rik, what did I win?

It is a great picture. I am also experimenting with helicon and I also get these faint lines around the subject. What I do now is run the stack a second time but much smoother and with that second image I retouch the parts that have these artefacts.

Indeed, with a layer mask! :)

Wim

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Wim van Egmond wrote:Rik, what did I win?
Satisfaction, fame, and my personal congratulations on a job well done! :D

I know, you were hoping for a new lens, but this intangible awards program is much more sustainable! :wink:
It is a great picture. I am also experimenting with helicon and I also get these faint lines around the subject. What I do now is run the stack a second time but much smoother and with that second image I retouch the parts that have these artefacts.
Interesting technique. I'll have to try that. HF 4 Pro has a nice interface for local retouching, but this two-pass approach might solve problems at many depths at once.

Thanks for the compliment and the trick!

--Rik

PeglegOS

Post by PeglegOS »

Looks a bit like my ex mother-in-law..... :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic