opinion

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kliton77

opinion

Post by kliton77 »

Is it worth the price of the 200$ for a zeiss Luminar 63mm f 4.5?

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Yes 8) (condition dependent)

Enrico Savazzi has uploaded various reports and comparisons online. You could start at the link below and then follow the trail.
http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photograp ... enses6.htm

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

kliton77

Post by kliton77 »

thank you

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Kliton77, an answer might depend on whether "worth the price," refers to value in the market or value in your work. No comment on the market value, as I haven't followed it. But in practical use, you might already have this Luminar's sweet spot (2x-5x, per Enrico's testing?) covered by your Canon MP-E 65. (Am writing this from expectation, not having had either lens in hand.)

--Chris

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Having both lenses in hand, the overwhelming difference is the bulk of the MP-E compared with the thumb sized Luminar.
(Apart from the price.)
If you can locate "Morfa"'s (John Hallmen's) video showing him using it it the field, you'll see how much more easily it pokes between branches, with a tripod and stacking rig.
But, for work with anything sitting on a leaf while you focus on it handheld, the Canon MP-E's wider aperture and automatic diaphragm makes it about ten times easier to use.

Performance wise they're both very good. There are comparisons I've seen, but I haven't done my own yet. If you can use a wide aperture and stack more images then I'd expect the MP-E to win, but it is a few times the price.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic