OlyMinCan-28

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Hi Phil,

In my case, not at all. But I have a couple things going for me:

First, the NEX-7 camera is not heavy nor big. Second I have all Really Right Stuff and it's quite stable, so maybe a sturdier tripod or support gear would improve your situation

Cheers

Brian
Cheers

Brian

Brian Valente
bvalente.smugmug.com

bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Okay one last image, this with the 14mm f2.8 nikon (effective full frame AOV is 21mm)

the moon was out, so tried to capture that along with something a little closer to the ground (the clover field is nearby so there it is again).

So other than the bellows question I am pretty satisfied with the project. Once I get the new lens mounts in I'm going to try everyone's suggestions and report back on the bellows part.

Thanks again for the inspiration Charlie

Cheers

Brian
Cheers

Brian

Brian Valente
bvalente.smugmug.com

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Brian,

Excellent!

The presence of the Moon adds a superb sense of perspective.

Great project, outstanding results. Looking forward to future updates/installments.

A touch of foreground 'fill' would set the image off rather nicely; but then you already know that :wink: .

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

bvalente

Post by bvalente »

Craig did a much nicer job than me in processing. I hope he doesn't mind sharing

Cheers

Brian
Cheers

Brian

Brian Valente
bvalente.smugmug.com

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Brian,

I over-adjusted the saturation, just wanted to see into the shadows. 8)

Craig
Last edited by Craig Gerard on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

DQE wrote:Do you find that the height of the add-on components above the primary mounting surface of your tripod causes the rig to become top-heavy?
Something else to watch out for is any increased tendency to slowly sink, usually one leg more than the others, into soft substrates, such as cultivated soil, all the more so after irrigation.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

descall

Post by descall »

Hello folks,

This technique is very impressive and I really like the images that have resulted. My main interest is mosses and liverworts, and this thread suggests ways of capturing great images of these plants that also illustrate the broader habitat within which these plants grow. I'd like to give it a go and wonder if Brian's set-up described above is the best option or have better alternatives been developed since? I'll be buying all the equipment from scratch. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,
Des

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Well it just happens... taken yesterday trying out a £15 camera (Powershot) clamped to a tree with a £5 clamp.
There's no image resizing program on this laptop so I've let the forum shrinker do its thing, so the quality will have taken a hit.
This is in the same manner that Rik used to produced his picture of his lawn.
The original stack extended to infinity but leaving the last few out left the background trees etc oof.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

...and here's an older one taken mainly to avoid the "gap" in subject distances, which can make these sort of pictures look like a paste-up. The subject matter flows through from close to infinity. That's a brick pond-edge you're looking along, which is about 6ft/1.8m long. The chair is about 20ft/6m away.
I'll let you work out what the ghost is... :D

I now have a little camera with a wider angle so must try again. There are wrinkles to go through.

For lichens etc, a medieval church would often be available for a background, of course.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Chris,

The second one is a knockout. Finding that match head at the bottom suddenly (literally) changed the perpective.

The stereo pair works but has limited inpact due to the short base separation.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

I agree with Harold that the whole perspective of the picture changes once you see the match. Very nice.

Rakes

bvalente

Post by bvalente »

yes nicely done!

Brian
Cheers

Brian

Brian Valente
bvalente.smugmug.com

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Very nice result indeed!
I'll let you work out what the ghost is... :D
I assume that your turf tractor suffers from severe oil loss?! :) :wink:

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

descall

Post by descall »

Thanks for sharing these Chris, very nice indeed. I have a Canon G12 here and wonder if I could use that to similar effect. Maybe I'll have a play tomorrow. Best regards, Des

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The ghost is a cat, en passant. He doesn't show in the Dmap version!

The G12's wider lens should give a more dramatic result though it doesn't focus quite as close? This one only has a 37mm equiv lens, going to 1cm.

The branch clamp was one of :
these. Not for a Bratcam...

I have a nicer metal one, but it doesn't open as wide.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic