Springtail Orchesella villosa

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Springtail Orchesella villosa

Post by Harold Gough »

I had a moderately successful (for a first attempt) session photographing sprintails yesteday. Unfortunately, I got the dreaded CARD FULL before I could really get some practice in.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 410#117410

Anyway, I must have learned something as, using the same procedures, my first shot today was much better. 50mm f11 (FOV 6-7mm wide:

Uncropped:

Further shots from same session to be posted soon.

[Edit] This is, of course, Orchesella villosa, which is what thought I was tracking with my camera. Entomobrya does not have subdivided antennal segments or annulations and is about half the size. I have changed the topic title accordingly. [Edit ends]

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

LordV

Post by LordV »

Lovely capture Harold. Did see a small Dicrotymina yesterday when I had a look under some damp leaves but it sprang before I could bring the camera to bear.
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Thanks, Brian.

There is a considerable element of luck but, as they say, luck improves with practice.

I have been slowly working my way up the magnifications with digital but this accelerated recently with the introduction of flash. (Thus turning the full circle to my film setup of the 1980s - so much for progress!). With my current setup I have scarcely tried the highest magnification (at 28mm with 3mm FOV) but that is so much more demanding. (I have a hit list for that range).

The lens I am using has fungus so I will get a replacement by next season. So far, I have not seen any problem with that, nor (to my surprise and delight) and diffraction of consequence (someone here is certain to!).

I must publicly thank you for the inspiration that your images, among others, have given me.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Today I tried taping a tiny, bright LED torch to the large flash gun. It didn't quite point where I wanted it to but it was near enough to make a major diffrence to framing and focusing. I was able to take severla shots of thsi individual. It seems to have rather too amny setae. I think it is about to moult, the flattened ones being under the skin.

Cropped by about 2/3:

The same with Topaz MicroContrast Enhancement:

Imageontrast Enhancement:

This was unintentionally with the lens in the Macro position, my supporting finger having moved the setting. ISO 100 f16.

Harold

dissent

Post by dissent »

Impressive shots. :)
- Ian
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Thanks, Ian.

I would have prefered it along the other axis but two flashguns over the end of the lens won't always allow my preferences. Anyway, the added spotlight decreases the difficulty.

I have a replacement lens on its way to me, which may give sharper images at the wide-angle (high magnification) end.

Harold

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

These are nice. Good use of sharpening on that last one, to pull out detail that was otherwise subdued by diffraction.

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

rjlittlefield wrote:These are nice. Good use of sharpening on that last one, to pull out detail that was otherwise subdued by diffraction.
Thanks, Rik.

That software is my key one. It is too harsh for a smooth petal and I use the more subtle Feature Enhancement for intermediate textures. I will generally see what works best for each subject. The bottom line is that we never really know what is a realistic representation and have to make a judgement, what is valid often being just a matter of opinion.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic