Domestic concrete

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Domestic concrete

Post by rjlittlefield »

Until a few weeks ago, this subject held up a fence post in my back yard. Then the wind blew. When it stopped blowing, I needed a new fence. Several passes with a diamond blade and a few sledgehammer blows later, this chunk of stuff came out. It wasn't big enough to have much choice in composition, but I thought the colors and patterns were pretty enough to show anyway.

--Rik

24 mm wide. Sawed flat, sanded smooth on 400-grit paper, flooded with water to photograph.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

A much more creative use of concrete than a lot of buildings I've seen :D. IMO it make an interesting piece of art in a "So what am I looking at?" kind of way. Hmmm, I reckon it would look pretty good on the wall, framed at about A3.

Not that it matters particularly, however just out interest could you give us an idea of scale.

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW, they use some pretty nice aggregate in the concrete out west :wink:. Up close you would think it was a real conglomerate.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Bruce Williams wrote:Not that it matters particularly, however just out interest could you give us an idea of scale.
Ha, gotcha! This time I took a shortcut and left off the graphic scale bar. Size was at the bottom of the text: "24 mm wide". 8)

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Now you know how terrazzo is made! I see some bits of marble in there I think?

DaveW

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Rik wrote:
Ha, gotcha! This time I took a shortcut and left off the graphic scale bar. Size was at the bottom of the text: "24 mm wide".
...and I read that line too! :lol:

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

DaveW wrote:I see some bits of marble in there I think?
I have no idea what's in this stuff. The local gravel deposits are a thoroughly scrambled mess of sedimentary, metamorphic, and volcanic types, all mixed together by some enormous floods at the end of the last Ice Age.

All I can really tell you is that this stuff cut OK with a diamond blade, but something in it reduced a carbide masonry bit to a blunt-ended rod!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic