Pear rust

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Pear rust

Post by ChrisR »

I was brought a leaf from a pear tree with a fungal gall, caused by Gymnosporangium, probably sabinae. It seems to be very common this year, I've seen better specimens since taking these pics.
It creates little "lanterns" on the pear leaf from which spores are dispersed, which in winter transfer to a juniper host species.
(I found a nice article about it which seems to have resubmerged into the google mire. If I find it again I'll post a link!)

Leaf underside, so this is "upside down". Field width about 12mm. From about 50 frames.

Crop from above, 1200px reduced to 1000

Field width about 3.8mm. From about 140, though half have little interest as there's not enough fibres in the back of the "lantern" - needs a better specimen.

Edit - not the link I sought but good.. Life Cycle on page 18:
http://ex-epsilon.slu.se:8080/archive/0 ... chelor.pdf

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Chris, I like the first image quite a bit--though I'm partial to depictions of plant pathogens that show them very realistically and effectively in situ--something that seems more rare than it should be.

Nice conveyance of the size, shape, and 3-D structure of this organism. Your choice of soft light really seems to work for this.

So which of your lenses was in use, here? Canon MPE-65? 105 Printing Nikkor?

--Chris

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Excellent work, London Chris!

And I am with the American Chris: More details on lens and lighting, please! :)

--Betty

Phew, I really have to be careful that I don't end up in a crisis of confusion with so many Chrises around here ! :D :wink:
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

First is MP-E on D600/t3i, auto flash on camera, angled sheet of tissue paper as flash target/diffuser, Pmax (some Dmap might have improved it).
Last is Nikon 5x(0.13 I think) inf objective, single flash, paper tissue diffuser, paper reflector.

I don't think any reasonable optics would have looked much different here.
Usual post processing - nothing special, though that might mean a dozen quick tweaks.
I'm partial to depictions of plant pathogens that show them very realistically and effectively in situ
Sorry, I'm short by one tree ;)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Chris,

Very nice shots Chris.

You need to exercise that vast lens arsenal you have, and post more images. :wink:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks Charles, but nothing I do is actually any good - my parents told me ... :wink:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I presume your parents never saw these images.

They are definitely good. I would enjoy seeing more of them also.

--Rik

conkar

Post by conkar »

Well done Chris!

I like the first one.........

Even if I can't see these stereos I think that picture also would be nice to be presented in stereo.

Regards,
Conny

abpho

Post by abpho »

Interesting. I've seen many fallen leaves on my car that look like they have marshmallows attached to them. I often wanted to grab one to photograph but never did. By now it might be too late to get one.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

This would probably look better with the backdround made less prominent, and attention to the front fibres where they're a bit transparent.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The rotating one might be a good place to use Stack Selected, stopping just short of focusing that background leaf. But I emphasize "might". My track record is pretty bad for predicting whether I'll actually like what I see even though it seemed like a good thing to try.

In either case, both the rotation and the stereo work well for me. No doubts at all what the 3D structure is.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Stack Selected is what I had in mind, for the background of the stereo; followed by a visit to Photoshop for blurring/darkening/desaturating, before "putting it back". (Remembering to turn off "brightening" correction in Preferences).
The rocky one would probably need them all doing individually in a batch process.
This is one where an "extra stopped down" frame at stack-end might give an odd-looking result.

The background of the third image in the original post was at about effective f/80, so it had some dust showing on it!

abpho

Post by abpho »

Good job. Congratulations for making it on the pic of the month.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic