Hello.

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

CWTC

Hello.

Post by CWTC »

Hello.

I'm new here and new to photography. I bought my first camera a couple of weeks ago - the DSLR Canon 600D.

I'd like to thank a member here who 'PMed' me on another site. I won't mention the name just in case... :)

While I love the freedom of digital photography, my intention is to learn to take the right photograph via the camera and avoid 'photoshopping' everything!
I have a very clear idea of how I want the end result to look like - whether it's considered correct or not is not important to me, but I do want to take a good photograph.

I have too many ideas at the moment :shock:

I adore close-up and macro photography and my intention is to purchase the Canon MP-E 65mm within a year.

It took an age to decide on the lenses I should purchase first. I eventually settled on two lenses. Within a couple of days it was announced that these two lenses were being updated! So I've held off buying them and will wait for the new lenses and their reviews.
I ended up with the 600D kit lens - something that I was going to avoid based on various reviews and recommendations. However, after much haggling in the shop regarding the price of the body, I also managed to get the kit lens for an extra £20 :lol:

I've also purchased a tripod, flash and extension tubes. My kit is very small but is more than enough for the moment and I love them!

I shoot indoors and avoid the 'auto' settings.

CWTC

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Welcome,

Which 600D 'kit lens' did you purchase? (an EF-S 18-55mm?)
CWTC wrote:I have a very clear idea of how I want the end result to look like - whether it's considered correct or not is not important to me, but I do want to take a good photograph.
I like your creative philosophy 8)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Harold Gough

Re: Hello.

Post by Harold Gough »

CWTC wrote:I'd like to thank a member here who 'PMed' me on another site. I won't mention the name just in case... :)
I PMed you! I directed you here because you will find much more here on hardware (your interest to which I responded; much more variety here) and technique and, above all, advice. You will also find many images at higher magnifications, often via stacking.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

DumbMarine

Post by DumbMarine »

Welcome to what is both a friendly and professional forum.

On the Canon MPE, although I am a Nikon user myself I feel as you are new to digital photography and macro that you might be far better off (at the beginning) with the fantastic Canon EF 100mm f2.8L see review at
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/can ... is_usm_c16

This will be much easier to use.

Obviously these two lenses (the MPE and L) do different things and if you are desiring greater than 1:1 then the MPE is designed for that.

Both are great lenses though!

regards
Ian

CWTC

Post by CWTC »

Thank you all for your friendly welcome.
Craig Gerard wrote:Welcome,

Which 600D 'kit lens' did you purchase? (an EF-S 18-55mm?)
CWTC wrote:I have a very clear idea of how I want the end result to look like - whether it's considered correct or not is not important to me, but I do want to take a good photograph.
I like your creative philosophy 8)

Craig
Hello Craig.

I got the EF-S 18-55mm IS II.
It's not fantastic, but I'm very glad that I got it...especially for £20! I've learnt a great deal using it, and in that respect, it's priceless.

Re: creative process

I'm inspired by my own thoughts and want my photographs to reflect that. I've seen many wonderful images from different photographers but nothing separates them: they could have been taken by the same photographer. I've never been one to follow the crowd, for example, my underwear is concealed by my trousers that are held up by a belt :wink: :lol:
Harold Gough wrote:
CWTC wrote:I'd like to thank a member here who 'PMed' me on another site. I won't mention the name just in case... :)
I PMed you! I directed you here because you will find much more here on hardware (your interest to which I responded; much more variety here) and technique and, above all, advice. You will also find many images at higher magnifications, often via stacking.

Harold
Hello Harold!

Yes, it was you! Thank you! I've been looking around the site and the amount of information is vast! Some I'm familiar with, some I'm not and some have bamboozled me!

The forum houses a multitude of members that seem to know what they're talking about. It's wonderful.

I have to 'say', I think it was one of the most important PMs I've ever received. You've contributed to changing my life for the better.

Once again, thank you.
DumbMarine wrote:Welcome to what is both a friendly and professional forum.

On the Canon MPE, although I am a Nikon user myself I feel as you are new to digital photography and macro that you might be far better off (at the beginning) with the fantastic Canon EF 100mm f2.8L see review at
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/can ... is_usm_c16

This will be much easier to use.

Obviously these two lenses (the MPE and L) do different things and if you are desiring greater than 1:1 then the MPE is designed for that.

Both are great lenses though!

regards
Ian
Hello Ian.

It certainly seems to be friendly and professional - it makes a change from some of the forums I've visited!

Greater than 1:1 is what I'm after.
'Reckless me' was very tempted to throw caution to the wind and jump in to the proverbial deep end and buy the MPE and learn to swim! However, 'Sensible me' reminded me that in order to learn photography I need to learn to 'see', compose and understand the light. Using the MPE so soon, while fascinating, I did not believe it would be a good tool to learn the basics of photography, quite the opposite in fact! I need to learn to shoot what's in front of me before I start photographing what's normally out of sight...no matter how fascinating it is!!! Please excuse my waffling :lol:

:)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

CWTC, welcome aboard!

It's probably surprising, but for what you want to do, that 18-55mm kit lens can make a very nice introduction. See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15239 for discussion of how to get 1.5X-5X with it, for the cost of a reversing ring.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I have the same 600D and same lens - that lens is pretty good, and it would be crazy not to have it for the price.

Do try the little zoom reversed. Your maximum field width will depend on how thick your adapters are - if you HOLD the lens against the camera you'll have up to about 40mm. Not the best arrangement but it'll give an idea what you find most useful.
I recently started using an MP-E; though it's very convenient to be able to wind down to 4.5mm, the maximum on the MP-E, of 22mm at 1:1, can obviously be restrictive. I think they suit full-frame sensors better!

If you did go for a 105mm macro ( the non IS is cheaper, not sure if it's as good) you could add a 4x BE and a 10x BE microscope objective to it (total cost should be less than ~£200 with adapters), which would give you very sharp results with field widths ~10.6 and 5.25mm . That would be a pretty powerful combination of bits.
You can get the AF motor in the camera to do some stacking for you too.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Chris, thanks for the tickle about field width on reversing the little zoom. I've updated the other thread.

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

:idea: Somebody must have tried reversing an MP-E. I haven't, yet.. Should give a larger field than 1:1 on APS at the right extension.

CWTC

Post by CWTC »

rjlittlefield wrote:CWTC, welcome aboard!

It's probably surprising, but for what you want to do, that 18-55mm kit lens can make a very nice introduction. See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15239 for discussion of how to get 1.5X-5X with it, for the cost of a reversing ring.

--Rik
Oh wow!

Thank you for the link and info. Very useful to know.

ChrisR wrote:I have the same 600D and same lens - that lens is pretty good, and it would be crazy not to have it for the price.

Do try the little zoom reversed. Your maximum field width will depend on how thick your adapters are - if you HOLD the lens against the camera you'll have up to about 40mm. Not the best arrangement but it'll give an idea what you find most useful.
I recently started using an MP-E; though it's very convenient to be able to wind down to 4.5mm, the maximum on the MP-E, of 22mm at 1:1, can obviously be restrictive. I think they suit full-frame sensors better!

If you did go for a 105mm macro ( the non IS is cheaper, not sure if it's as good) you could add a 4x BE and a 10x BE microscope objective to it (total cost should be less than ~£200 with adapters), which would give you very sharp results with field widths ~10.6 and 5.25mm . That would be a pretty powerful combination of bits.
You can get the AF motor in the camera to do some stacking for you too.

Thank you for your advice. I have one question, what is BE?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

"BE" - Sorry! There's a couple of relatively inexpensive Nikon microscope objectives with that in their name which turn out to perform very well when used directly on the front of a camera lens such as a 105mm macro.
I'm not sure what it stands for - it might even be Basic Economy! They wouldn't be the ultimate objectives for a microscope, but on a camera lens they suit very well.
These are "infinite" objectives see this thread:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic