New trinocular adapter

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

New trinocular adapter

Post by Charles Krebs »

Since I started working with the microscope my SLR camera bodies mounted on a separate stand in an effort to minimize the various camera induced vibrations. With the Canon bodies I now use there is much less need for that approach. So I decided to make up a couple of adapters to attach the camera directly to my Olympus BHS microscope.

While the simplest way to do this would be via an Olympus Photomicro Adapter L and an eBay OM-to-EOS mount adapter, I decided to assemble my own to allow for a couple of characteristics I really wanted. The two things that were desired were...

1) The ability to smoothly rotate the camera 360 degrees, and if desired lock it in position
2) Have a very fine height adjustment so that it is easy to adjust the camera height in order to make the viewing eyepieces and camera very accurately "parfocal"

So here is the result. As marked on the lower picture the pieces used were:

A) An Olympus clamp scavenged from an old Olympus camera part.

B) A very nice custom piece made for me by our own member, and a relatively close neighbor "elf" (Thank you Ed!). This piece is attached via 4 machine screws to the part A. It then provides me with a standard "T-thread"

C) A Baader VariLock T-extension tube. This is a finely threaded variable extension tube with locking ring. It has a male "t-mount" on one end and a female "t-mount" on the other.

D) Blue Fireball Eyepiece Holder (2"), ("Visual Back"). (From Agena Astro Products)

E) Blue Fireball ELIM-T 2" Prime Focus Camera Adapter (From Agena Astro Products) This piece has an attached EOS mount and a nicely machined sleeve, about 50mm long, that fits very smoothly and precisely into the visual back (Part D). It allows for very smooth 360 degree rotation, and can be locked via thumbscrews on the visual back.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Thank you for posting.

I am going to check the Agena Astro products.

Rogelio

Winger

Re: New trinocular adapter

Post by Winger »

Charles Krebs wrote:Since I started working with the microscope my SLR camera bodies mounted on a separate stand in an effort to minimize the various camera induced vibrations. With the Canon bodies I now use there is much less need for that approach. So I decided to make up a couple of adapters to attach the camera directly to my Olympus BHS microscope.

While the simplest way to do this would be via an Olympus Photomicro Adapter L and an eBay OM-to-EOS mount adapter, I decided to assemble my own to allow for a couple of characteristics I really wanted. The two things that were desired were...

1) The ability to smoothly rotate the camera 360 degrees, and if desired lock it in position
2) Have a very fine height adjustment so that it is easy to adjust the camera height in order to make the viewing eyepieces and camera very accurately "parfocal"

So here is the result. As marked on the lower picture the pieces used were:

A) An Olympus clamp scavenged from an old Olympus camera part.

B) A very nice custom piece made for me by our own member, and a relatively close neighbor "elf" (Thank you Ed!). This piece is attached via 4 machine screws to the part A. It then provides me with a standard "T-thread"

C) A Baader VariLock T-extension tube. This is a finely threaded variable extension tube with locking ring. It has a male "t-mount" on one end and a female "t-mount" on the other.

D) Blue Fireball Eyepiece Holder (2"), ("Visual Back"). (From Agena Astro Products)

E) Blue Fireball ELIM-T 2" Prime Focus Camera Adapter (From Agena Astro Products) This piece has an attached EOS mount and a nicely machined sleeve, about 50mm long, that fits very smoothly and precisely into the visual back (Part D). It allows for very smooth 360 degree rotation, and can be locked via thumbscrews on the visual back.

Hi,

I would like to have your opinion to purchase an adapter for my new Canon EOS 60D please.

When do you think?

What adapter can he agree to this arrangement as my pictures?
Do you know a link ebay a good seller on ebay maybe?

Thank you for your help

Winger

this is from: Olympus U-PMTVC C-Mount Video Adapter Port phototube

Alan Wood

Re: New trinocular adapter

Post by Alan Wood »

Winger wrote:I would like to have your opinion to purchase an adapter for my new Canon EOS 60D please.

this is from: Olympus U-PMTVC C-Mount Video Adapter Port phototube
Your U-PMTVC is not suitable for use with an EOS 60D.

When you remove the U-PMTVC, you should find an NFK photo eyepiece in the top of the trinocular head. If it is 2.5x or 1.67x magnification then it can be used with your EOS 60D.

One option is to follow Charles Krebs' example and assemble your own adapter from a collection of parts. You will also need an NFK photo eyepiece.

Another option is to buy a Photomicro Adapter L, an NFK photo eyepiece (if you haven't aready got one), and a cheap OM-EOS adapter. For more information, see this web page:
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... scope.html

Alan Wood

Winger

;-)

Post by Winger »

thank you for your help Alan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic