settings for stackshot / high precision on

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

redcore

settings for stackshot / high precision on

Post by redcore »

hi there,
i have received my stackshot yesterday and i would like to know what settings do you people use if the step increment is set to 1um and high precision is set to on. i am talking about these:

Tsettle
Toff
Speed
Tpulse
Tramp
Torque

thank in advance!
rob

DumbMarine

Post by DumbMarine »

Rob,
I would like to second your request. I have had my Stackshot for a few months now but have not experimented with different settings yet (such as locking my mirror up then pausing before firing the shutter to allow settle.

A small set of recommendations would come in useful? Perhaps against an example with typical or common lenses/objectives used by members? The more esoteric and difficult to source optics would be less useful unless they have common characteristics.

Presumably the NA is rather like aperture and for a given focal length on a certain size sensor will allow a zone of sharpness? This I guess provides a step size? Is this so?

regards
Ian

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mine is currently set on:

Tsettle 3
Toff 2
Speed 2 mm/sec
Tpulse 0.5
Tramp 8 seconds
Torque 5

The times are not critical as long as they're long enough. At 1 micron I'll be shooting with flash and the stack will be deep. In that case the important thing is that the times are long enough to not overrun flash recharge or memory card transfer.

I've never noticed that torque matters in my horizontal setups. For that matter I've never noticed that it matters in my vertical setups either, but that's because I just crank it up to 10 so I don't have to worry about it. I suspect it's mainly an issue of power consumption if you're running on battery or constantly flying the thing back and forth. I'm almost always on AC power and the rail is almost always at rest. Probably the motor gets warmer at high torque and high precision, but when I ran an overnight test just to see, it never got beyond pleasant to touch.

Ian, yes the NA determines DOF and step size. See the calculator at http://www.microscopyu.com/tutorials/ja ... index.html and run the "e" slider full left because we're always pixel-peeping.

--Rik

redcore

Post by redcore »

thanks a lot for your information rik. i just needed some starting info for my very first tests scheduled for this weekend.

by the way i have jml 20 microscopic lens and my question is what nikon lens from that pull-down menu would be the most similar ?

thanks again,
rob

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The JML 20 is NA 0.30. I suggest choosing one of the 10X NA 0.30 objectives and again, push the "e" slider full left. If you could set e=0, the second term of the DOF equation would drop out entirely and you'd be left with just the term depending only on NA.

--Rik

DumbMarine

Post by DumbMarine »

Rik,

Thanks for the link to the calculator which I had discovered from another thread but was unsure where to set the slider so your tip is duly noted.

cheers
Ian

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic