www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - First Images From Reversed Carl Zeiss 35-70 On Extension
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First Images From Reversed Carl Zeiss 35-70 On Extension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: First Images From Reversed Carl Zeiss 35-70 On Extension Reply with quote

Full lens details:

Carl Zeiss Jenazoom-2 35-70mm f3.5-4.8 MC macro.

This is with the lens temporarily modified as here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18243

and has relevance to this topic:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18237

which, in turn, arose from this topic:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18225

which arose for my lens envy.

The point is that this lens is a zoom and can give different magnifcations on a given extension.

Here are some shots with the lens reversed on 65mm of extension, using f8 or f11 set on the lens and at 35mm focal length. This gives a field of view 4mm wide across the long axis of the image.

I used a tripod but there was intermittent light air movement affecting the subject, a Valerian flower. Exposures were 1/2 or 1/3 second. The images have not been cropped:

Centre of flower (at f11?):

Anther (at f11?):

Anther at f8:

Anther at f11:

The question about the aperture is because the zoom and focus operation knocked the f11 to f8 at some stage.

The change of view and slight change of magnification are due to repositioning the tripd and camera distance.

These images are far away from gallery quality but are a starting point.

The first one has some interesting flare and the last one has some kind of colour fringe which may be due to slight motion blur.

Harold
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the little standard zooms seem to "work", the corner performance on mine goes off though.
The old Nikon kit lens, 35 - 70 F/3.3 - 4.5 has a lot of people using it, around the web.
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Although I started into macro, in the 1980s, with Tamron SP flat field lenses, I have never been much concerned about edge/corner performance. I can see that it would be an issue for those who like to image fields of lepidopteran scales and suchlike. Of course, I am seeing only the middle half of the image anyway with my EP-2.

It is another matter outside of macro, where I expect good corner sharpness for my ultra-wideangle lenses used for shots of buildings.

Harold
Harold Gough

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison can now be made with images of the Valerian anthers made, camera hand-held, with a Photar and with flash illumination

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115950#115950

(The last two images in the set).

Harold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: