www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Fern spore capsule and spore
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fern spore capsule and spore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwnell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Fern spore capsule and spore Reply with quote

Taken under brightfield, 20x * 2 magnification. 110 image stack using Helicon Focus with method A (Weighted Average). This was by far the better stack between it and Zerene Stacker for this subject, normally Zerene wins.

Last edited by pwnell on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Cactusdave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super image. It would make a great stereo pair. The potential sense of depth looks terrific.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo and I have been talking about this stack, and he graciously sent me a copy with permission to post about it. The stack has some really fascinating aspects, very different from stacks I've worked with before. There'll be much headscratching while I figure out what all is going on.

For stereo, that part is easy as long as we stick to PMax. Here's one I did last night while I was trying to be sure about the geometry. Crossed eye; the shifts are at +-2%.

--Rik
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the above PMax images against the Helicon Focus Method A image at top of thread, it's obvious that PMax has produced a much more "transparent" rendering of the structure. In the HF Method A image, the front surface of the capsule is rendered opaque -- we cannot see the spine of the capsule through the front surface in the rendering, even though obviously the scope can see through it in real life.

Producing an image like that with Zerene Stacker is not so easy. If we try to DMap the whole stack, then DMap gets confused in places and produces nasty "holes" where physically there aren't any. One fairly effective way around that problem is to do a Stack Selected DMap of just the front surface, then retouch that onto say a PMax of the whole stack, being careful to paint over only the parts we want to render opaque. Here's a stereo version of that approach:

As you can see, this stack presents some interesting artistic issues in addition to the optical and algorithmic issues that I'm still looking forward to studying. This stack is great fun!

--Rik
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice image.

Definitely prefer the second stereo version... great to look at.
Mitch640

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the last stereo image seems to be the best. It's an amazing find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: