Silver Wattle...

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crocoite

Silver Wattle...

Post by crocoite »

...an acacia. Masses of these yellow flowers in late Winter, early spring.

Field of view about 8mm.
Last edited by crocoite on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Can't say as I have seen these Steve, well until now. They sure are yellow, pardon my ingnorance but is this the flowers of a tree. Seems as though I may have heard of an acacia, not sure. :-k Good photograph, thanks Steve :D

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Ken Ramos wrote:Can't say as I have seen these Steve, well until now. They sure are yellow, pardon my ingnorance but is this the flowers of a tree. Seems as though I may have heard of an acacia, not sure. :-k Good photograph, thanks Steve :D
Thanks Ken. Yes a tree. Acacias are a large family worldwide. The wattle trees are the Australian versions (and the Golden Wattle is our national floral emblem). When you see giraffes on the African Savannah, the trees that they are munching on are generally acacias too (although they usually have big thorns and aggressive ants. The trees that is, not the giraffes!). Google images with acacia africa and you will see the resemblence.

Here's a shot of the wattle in flower...

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Okay, thanks Steve. I thought it might be a tree, as I said seems I had heard of them but wasn't sure. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Don`t tell me that is your back yard :shock: very nice cliff in the background. The flower picture is very interesting & unusual. :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

beetleman wrote:Don`t tell me that is your back yard :shock: very nice cliff in the background.
OK, I won't tell you. :twisted:

Actually its just outside my boundary fence. You can just see the top of a fence post bottom-left. The cliff face here is only small. Just upstream another 100 metres or so, its much more dramatic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic