yet another handheld stack

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Insect-O-Saurus

yet another handheld stack

Post by Insect-O-Saurus »

actually a few more, plus a video of the action

and a video of another thing being captured is on you tube WARNING: this video could be harmful to your health - it might bore you to death!

Iain

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Boredom, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder!

Thanks for the video and this new set of excellent images. :D

--Rik

canonian

Post by canonian »

Hi Iain, it's nice to finally meet the man behind the camera, and his technique.
Beautiful shots, the MPE is an amazing lens, and you control it very well.
I can hardly see you pulling the camera, you're a human StackShot.
The 5D sounds like a Gatling gun. ;)

oxkarthemighty

Going to have to try it out.

Post by oxkarthemighty »

Very cool. I however have not even ATTEMPTED getting the 100 or so image stacks with mine. The most I can pull off is about 15, I however am not steadying myself on the ground. I might have to try this technique you are using because the images you are pulling off are great. I have used a hand steadying technique with branches or nearby rocks.....still, 100 is crazy. I am curious to what your ratio is as far as good stack vs. failed stacks with 50 or more exposures due to insect movement or just incorrect placement of camera?
If your photo lacks interest, you aren't close enough.

crisarg

Post by crisarg »

Lovely video and accent!

Very good technique for shooting handheld large stacks, now I know how it's possible. :)
Cristian Arghius

Flickr

abpho

Post by abpho »

That last one is superb. So much detail. Very well done.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Where is your flash situated? I see the cord....

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice! Previous ones were labeled "natural light". These too, I suppose, but I'm curious about that flash trigger cord also.

--Rik

Insect-O-Saurus

Re: Going to have to try it out.

Post by Insect-O-Saurus »

First of all, many thanks for all the comments - a wee bit of clarification on some of the points raised above...
oxkarthemighty wrote:I am curious to what your ratio is as far as good stack vs. failed stacks with 50 or more exposures due to insect movement or just incorrect placement of camera?
Insect movement is generally going to fail a stack unless it's just a wee bit of movement which can be retouched. I'm not aware of ever having a 'failed' stack due to incorrect placement of camera, although I do tend to take quite a few stacks at various magnifications and angles but a lot of these I probably won't look at until the end of the bug season.
abpho wrote:Where is your flash situated? I see the cord....
These are all natural light shots, the thing you see on top of the camera is for the wireless shutter release (which I didn't use in this instance). It's the receiver bit of it. I keep it there as it doesn't get in the way and if it's there even I'm unlikely to lose it. The cord just runs under the lens and if you pause the video at around 2 seconds you can see it plugged into the shutter release socket.

Ta

Iain

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

The only thing I could say is BRAVO for you work, I wish someday I`ll able similar shots (not exactly with your workflow, witch is amazing).
Very impressive for my rookie eyes !
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic