Having fun

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick a favorite macro or close-up image from one of the "Macro and Close-up" galleries to be featured on the front page of the www.photomacrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

Having fun

Post by johan »

Am enjoying myself immensely, every photo seems to make me stretch further to get better. The relaxing, cleaning and setting part of the process are still by far the hardest and most time consuming for me there is little useful practical info about this online. But, overall I'm getting there I think. It's most satisfying that there are so many parts to this, engineering, lighting & insect knowledge. This is a little sawfly I just did today with a reversed componon 35:

My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Absolutely beautiful, Johan. I've seen the large version on Flickr.
A nice and shiny specimen and a very clean shot.
You really get better and better with each shot.

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Ditto ! Very striking image
Daniel

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you both! It's been a good week =)
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

abpho

Post by abpho »

What ever you are doing is well forth the time. The results are amazing. Very clean. Well posted/composed. Great background.

CheerS!

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Excellent photography, Johan!

I just had a look at the large version on flickr. A great example of what can be achieved with the Componons.

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Okay...thanks to Betty, I checked out your flickr page. WOW! I applaud you. 8 hours! And I thought I was nuts doing a 3 hour session with a weevil. Well, it shows. Congratulations. I better start investing more time if I want to get better at this.

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you both very much, I'm honoured! I'm enjoying macrophotog a lot, especially because there's so much to learn in its many parts, and people are really responding which is, I have to say, tremendously motivating.

I really do like Componons very much for their resolving power and sharpness at the right mag and the right price! But, I admit I do try to avoid their pentagonal bokeh, and I personally find the plastic protruding aperture adjust thing a bit awkward because I slide my diffuser over the lens. I decided on buying these because I found Enrico Savazzi's and Mark Goodman's advice online... great advice, thank you both!

May I also just say that 8 hours is more a reflection on my lack of competence rather than something that should be aspired to =). For me it's not the taking photos and onwards that eats the time, it's all the preparation, ie getting the thing looking right, at the right angle, vaguely clean. That's currently by far the biggest challenge, I suspect it will be for some time to come!

Thank you both again, your encouragement is sincerely appreciated =)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic