Would LOVE some advice on what type of microscope to get!!

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tien42

Would LOVE some advice on what type of microscope to get!!

Post by tien42 »

Hi there!

I am a professional photographer and I recently decided I want to get into microscope photography. I honestly don't know the first thing about microscopes, however. So I was hoping I could get some advice!

I would really like to photograph things like rocks, crystals, sand, and stuff like that. Maybe leaves and flowers. I'm not really into the animal cells as much, although that could be fun too. I talked to someone who told me that what I need is a Trinocular Stereo Microscope. But beyond that, I'm really not sure what to get.

I really would like to spend no more than $250, if I can help it (although if you think the extra money is really worth it, please tell me why. I'm not opposed to saving up more for better equipment, but I'm just not sure if I really *need* to spend a lot of money.) If I could find something quality for under $200 that would really be ideal.

I was looking at this microscope, and it seems nice, but honestly I just don't know enough about them to know what all of the functions mean:
http://store.amscope.com/sw-2t24.html
Do you think this is a good microscope? Can you suggest anything better?

Also, I was wondering if I could also get some advice on what type of accessories I would need. I vaguely remember slides and solutions and different things we used in biology back when I was in school (ages ago,) but I have no idea what to get or what I would need. I'm a total microscope beginner so any information is welcome. :)

One last thing - I have a Canon EOS 7D and ideally would like to take pictures with this camera so I can shoot in RAW. Can anyone tell me what I would need to hook up my 7D to the microscope? I believe there are adapters but I just don't know what's best.

Thank you so much in advance!!

-Tien :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Tien, welcome aboard! :D

The scope you're looking at would be OK for direct viewing, but I think you would not be happy shooting photographs through it.

You can get far better results in other ways, probably at even lower cost given that as a professional photographer you likely have almost everything you need already. The subjects you've mentioned are all 3D and opaque, and for those the best route is to dispense with most of the microscope and instead simply shoot through a microscope objective as if it were a high powered closeup or bellows lens.

I suggest first to read our FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera?.

Then read through Lenses for use at 4-5X on an APS-sized sensor and notice particularly the "Cnscope" objective described in the first post and the Nikon CFI BE Plan Achromat 4X described in this later post. Both of those lenses will get you excellent images at low cost, for subjects in the same size range as a 20-40X microscope. For even smaller subjects, there are comparable objectives at 10X and higher that can be used in the same manner.

I strongly recommend to not buy anything until you have spent some more time here at photomacrography.net discussing the options. It is very easy to go down the wrong path and end up with equipment that will not make you happy.

--Rik

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Tien,

I am a mineral collector and I purchased a Meiji EMZ-5TR scope a number of years ago. I used a number of different cameras on it. In the early days I just took single shots as I was unaware of stacking. When I started stacking I was not as happy with this setup and shifted to a horizontal setup. I started with a Nikon D300, PB-6 bellows, and 4X and 10X finite objectives from Edmunds Optical. I am much happier wit the results obtained with this setup. I have switched from the D300 to a Canon T2i to take advantage of the silent mode found a some of the Canon cameras. Will find a variety of setups discussed here ranging from basic to very complex and some are works of art. As Rik said, checkout the posts here and ask questions. This is a very friendly and helpful group.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

tien42

Thanks

Post by tien42 »

Thanks both of you for your responses. :) It took me a couple of days to go through and read the information on each of the threads. It all seemed very clear and easy to understand. I will probably have more in-depth questions as I get into actually picking out equipment, should I decide to go this route.

I have never heard of hooking up a microscope objective to my camera so the concept is completely new to me. I believe that you're probably right that the quality is better than a microscope, but I would love to see some actual images taken through something like that so I can see the kind of quality / magnification I would be getting. I tried doing some google searches but it seemed like the only stuff I could find were insects and spiders... do you know if there is anyone who has done this with the same subjects I am interested in photographing? Or at least something similar? :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by rjlittlefield »

tien42 wrote:I would really like to photograph things like rocks, crystals, sand, and stuff like that. Maybe leaves and flowers.
I tried doing some google searches but it seemed like the only stuff I could find were insects and spiders... do you know if there is anyone who has done this with the same subjects I am interested in photographing? Or at least something similar? :)
Maybe these will help. They're mostly at 4-10X, roughly corresponding to the view through a 20-100X microscope.

Shiny metal
Mouth of the dragon's lair
Diamonds and nickel
Geranium petal veins in frontlight & backlight
Cell phone displays
Dandelion seeds
Thyme leaf oil glands
High style of a maple flower
Fresh green moss, much closer view
Wood grain
Thumbdrive LED (second image)
'D' is for dime...or maybe for Denver (10X objective)
Goldenrod seeds (image #3)

--Rik

tien42

Cool!

Post by tien42 »

Oh wow, those are REALLY cool!!!!! Thank you!!!! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic