www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Words of Doom from Down Under, NEO
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Words of Doom from Down Under, NEO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Words of Doom from Down Under, NEO Reply with quote

Just happened to run across this. I once read where the possibility of a NEO striking the earth was spposed to be a lot sooner, guess not but still quite possible, read on Very Happy
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm still living, I'll be pushing 80 years old at that time...So I'll probably just go outside for the best view! Of course, some Bruce Willis wannabe will probably go up and push it off course and ruin my last great act of deficance.

A pretty good book by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle discusses the consequences and aftermath of a comet hitting the Earth. Lucifer's Hammer is worth reading....

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike said:
Quote:
Lucifer's Hammer is worth reading....

I've read a lot of articles on the subject but never any books, so I will have to keep this one in mind next time I go to the book store. I have always read though, that the aftermath will be something to what we would consider a nuclear winter, though I really don't see how they can know that, since we have never had and hopefully never will have a nuclear winter. Think Very Happy
DaveW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be 94 then Mike so I doubt I will still be able to run fast enough by then to get out of it's way! Laughing

daveW
Mike B in OKlahoma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Ramos wrote:
Mike said:
Quote:
Lucifer's Hammer is worth reading....

I've read a lot of articles on the subject but never any books, so I will have to keep this one in mind next time I go to the book store. I have always read though, that the aftermath will be something to what we would consider a nuclear winter, though I really don't see how they can know that, since we have never had and hopefully never will have a nuclear winter. Think Very Happy

I should clarify that Lucifer's Hammer is a fictional account (but the science is done as well as possible, and it is well worth reading!

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiction based on fact is fine by me, as long as they do not stretch the truth. A good example is "The Day After," 1980? Where we had a nuclear exchange with Russia. The movie was fictional of course but the scenerio was factual. A good movie too, really makes you think. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: