Lightning over Downtown Oklahoma City

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Lightning over Downtown Oklahoma City

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

I live in downtown Oklahoma City (yes, it's NOT an oxymoron), and have a balcony with a good view of the skyline. We have more than our fair share of thunderstorms here in the center of the USA, so I will often go outside and snape some shots.

I took this one just tonight. Power in many buildings was out, including my own--Took two hours to restore it! It was so windy that instead of the 16-35 zoom I usually use for this, I got my 24-105 zoom and turned on the IS--Even tripod mounted, the lens and camera were being blown around.

This is arguably my best shot.

Typical technicals for one of the above would be 13 seconds @ f/20, ISO 100. All are tripod mounted, of course.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Spectacular shots Mike. :D I have to say that I too like the second photograph. Shots like these really make you come to realize the awesome power of nature. :idea: Maybe you ought to do a little "storm chasing" and see if you can catch a tornado or two! When I lived in Arkansas, I got so used to twisters that when there was a warning I had to go out and look to see :lol: , then I would head down into my rock and concrete storm cellar in the ground. I got to see an F5, in "96" I think it was. Wiped out most of Arkadelphia and went on to slam into College Station in Little Rock. They said it was 3/4 of a mile wide. :shock:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic