best way of mounting a sony nex5 to a leitz dialux trino

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ikal1

best way of mounting a sony nex5 to a leitz dialux trino

Post by ikal1 »

If I want to mount a sony nex5 to my microscope without a lens, I suppose I need a photo-eyepiece. I understood from the articles of Charles Krebs that I need an eyepiece 1.67 x with this type of camera.
I found only a photo-ocular from Olympus which fits: NFK ocular (but very expensive).
Does anyone knows if there exists other eyepieces which do fit?

Thanks

Paul

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Paul,

The sensor in the Nex5 measures 28mm across the diagonal, about the same as the Canon bodies I use on the microscope. If the goal is to record, in the camera, about the same view "diagonal" seen through the eyepieces then a magnification of about 1.38X to 1.5X is optimal. (This assumes that you are using 10X eyepieces that provide a field number, or FN, of 20mm. Divide 28 by the eyepiece FN. If the eyepiece FN is smaller than 20mm the needed magnification goes up a little, if it is larger then a slightly lower magnification can be useful).

I am not very familiar with the Dialux. With my Olympus there was available (the now scarce and expensive) projection type 1.67X NFK that worked out pretty well with an APS-C size sensor. This had chromatic correction for Olympus LB series objectives.

The only projection-type eyepiece I am aware of specifically made for the APS-C format is sold by Martin Microscope, but it is not inexpensive.
http://www.martinmicroscope.com/MMSLR.htm

There is also a common adapter (T-mount) sold on eBay by several vendors that has a 2X projection lens built in. This is a little "strong", providing a field number view of 14mm, but not really too bad and better than the more common 2.5X that was used for 35mm cameras. They sell for about $90. (See current items 110858540937 and 400289977576 for example)

Be aware that the Martin Microscope adapter and the eBay ones mentioned above do not provide any additional chromatic correction which was often provided by older microscope systems eyepieces.

Don't forget that the "afocal" method can work very well also. If your objectives were designed to use chromatically corrective eyepieces it may actually be a better way to go. With a 35mm lens attached to the Nex5, looking through a 10X eyepiece, you would get an overall 1.4X magnification to the camera. There are plenty of inexpensive 35mm lenses that could be attached to the Nex5.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ikal1 wrote:If I want to mount a sony nex5 to my microscope without a lens, I suppose I need a photo-eyepiece.
Charles Krebs wrote: Be aware that the Martin Microscope adapter and the eBay ones mentioned above do not provide any additional chromatic correction which was often provided by older microscope systems eyepieces.

Don't forget that the "afocal" method can work very well also. If your objectives were designed to use chromatically corrective eyepieces it may actually be a better way to go. With a 35mm lens attached to the Nex5, looking through a 10X eyepiece, you would get an overall 1.4X magnification to the camera. There are plenty of inexpensive 35mm lenses that could be attached to the Nex5.
If you use a relay system without the adequate correction for your Leitz objectives the image out of the center of the frame will degrade a lot. Most original Leitz photo setups where based in the afocal principle, with the exception of some integrated cameras that have the correction made in the lens like the Orthomat zoom.

I think the best option (inexpensive and with proven results) is afocal.
Take a look at my setup:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15607
With a 50mm lens and a Periplan 8X eyepiece you will get a nice 1.6X relay magnification if you have not a 35 or 40mm lens.

And at this former similar discussion:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 5721#95721

You can also contact Gene about his Orthomat zoom lens. If you can can get it and couple it to your camera it would be ideal:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=16436
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic