My pond :D

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Kite

My pond :D

Post by Kite »

these were taken in the summer IIRC, right now there is a nice layer of ice on the pond :D

Well, this is my favourate collecting spot, my pond, in my back garden.

Here you can see the pond, the stones around the edge gently slope down into the water for aproxiamtely 1 foot, then a step sends the depth to 2 feet, then a larger one in the middle puts it down to 4 feet depth. This is for the pond to be able to hold a great many water plants in that need different conditions to live in (and therefore many microscopic organisms 8) )
You can see on the left of the picture, the resident lord and master of the pond, Charlie, a wicker duck :D

Now we see a close up view of Gunnerton Pier :D (gunnerton is the village I live in, and its in the middle of the country, so why not have a pier :D)

You can see all the plants living in and around the pond, this really is a beautiful and serene spot to sit in. I love to sit there in the summer and have a smoke while reading a good book :D
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Kite wrote:
Here you can see the pond, the stones around the edge gently slope down into the water for aproxiamtely 1 foot, then a step sends the depth to 2 feet, then a larger one in the middle puts it down to 4 feet depth. This is for the pond to be able to hold a great many water plants in that need different conditions to live in (and therefore many microscopic organisms )
These are known as littoral zones and you are right, they do create different conditons for plant and animal life within the ecosystem that you have beautifully created here. To further breakdown the zone you have the limnetic or pelagic zone, the photic or trophogenic zone (1% or more of sunlight at the surface), and the aphotic or tropholytic/profundal zone.

This is absolutely a wonderful little ecosystem that can provide endless explorations in microscopy and in the study of lentic ecology. Wish I had or could afford to have one of these in my yard. The wicker duck is pretty neat too by the way. :D

Kite

Post by Kite »

heh, yeah I love him :D

Thanks loads Ken for providing me with the correct terminology, off to google I go!
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Danny

Post by Danny »

Oh gee thanks. Wait till my wife see this this. Shes been after a pond for ages. Read that as Danny has to do something now :D :wink: . Very, very nice.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic