Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix "Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA
|Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:37 pm Post subject: Image Hosting Steps...
|Posting an image on our forums is pretty simple.
First, make sure that your image dimensions are 1024 pixels or smaller, on both axes, AND that the image file length is 300 KB or smaller. Use your favorite photo editor to resize the image and set the JPEG compression quality as needed to meet those two rules.
Then, follow the steps below to insert your images in your topic posts and replies...
1) Click on the button to create a new topic or post a reply to a current topic. A new window will open to post a new topic or reply. There is a button, "Upload picture", just above the message body (red arrow). Clicking on the "Upload picture" button will begin the process to upload an image in your message. You can click on the button anywhere in the message to insert an image where you want. (Note: if you have the forum set into Spanish language mode, then the "Upload picture" button will not appear. Picture upload is supported only in the English interface.)
If nothing happens when you push the "Upload picture" button, then check to see if either 1) popup windows are disabled in your browser, or 2) the upload window might have gotten hidden behind other windows, such as your main browser window.
2) Click on the "Upload picture" button to open the image uploader screen. Click on the "Browse" button (red arrow) to select a file from your local hard drive to upload to our server.
3) Select the desired image from your hard drive and click the "Open" button (red arrows).
4) The name of the image file should now appear in the "Picture file" command line. Click on the "Send" button (red arrow) to upload the image file to our server.
5) The upload window will now preview the image you have chosen to upload. You will probably have to enlarge this window or use the scroll bars to see the entire image and the important controls, which are at the bottom of the window. To insert the necessary BBCode into your posting, click on the blue part of "insert picture: standard" or "insert picture and upload another one" (red arrows). (Do not click on the black words "insert picture". Nothing will happen if you do that.)
6) The link(s) to your image(s), along with the proper BB code, will now appear in your message where you have inserted it. You can finish typing your message and submit your new topic or reply. The image you have uploaded will appear in your topic or reply when viewed from the forums/galleries. Be sure to check out your post using the "Preview" button before finally hitting "Submit" to make it visible to other people.
One caution: there is a feature that at first glance looks like it may be useful, but actually it is not. If the image on your PC exceeds the maximum image size for the forum, then the forum software will automatically and silently resize it for you. Don't be fooled! The forum software will indeed resize an overly large image, but the quality is very poor. It is much better to have the image sized properly before uploading.
If the image dimensions are within limits, but the file size is too long, then the upload will be rejected with an error message, "Filesize exceeds limit." The image will not be automatically resized in this case.
When both the image dimensions and the file size are within limits, then the forum will serve back an image that is bit-wise identical to what was uploaded.
Images should use the sRGB color profile. Some browsers will correctly display other profiles, but many will not.
If you have any problems, let us know.
Otherwise, just enjoy
Phoenix "The Valley of the Sun", Arizona, USA
The worst day photographing dragonflies is better than the best day working!