Questions about using a YN568EX III flash unit for photomicroscopy

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

tjlmicro

Questions about using a YN568EX III flash unit for photomicroscopy

Post by tjlmicro »

I am new to posting on this forum but have read many interesting posts, including ones on using external flash units in photomicroscopy. I have a Canon T6i that I use on a Zeiss Photomicroscope III for taking photos and videos but I would like to add flash photography. I recently received a YN568EX III flash unit that I would like to use for this purpose but I am stumped about how to use it. I am a complete beginner in using this flash so I hope you folks can help me, So far, the flash works fine and communicates with the camera when it is attached to the camera. The problems come in when I try to use it off camera. The flash is supposed to communicate with the camera in an optical wireless fashion, but I have not been able to get the camera and flash to communicate. Although the manual is hard to follow (for me, at least), I think I have been able to set it as a "slave" for the Canon (Sc) and Ch1. The mode on the flash is E-TTL. When I go into the flash control menu on the camera and the External flash function setting, I get a message that says Menu not available. Flash is off or unsupported or an accessory is attached. I am stuck at this point. Would a sync cable that connects the hot shoe on the camera to the flash solve the problem and if so what kind should I get? I would appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.

tjlmicro

Re: Questions about using a YN568EX III flash unit for photomicroscopy

Post by tjlmicro »

I need to make a correction in my first post. The camera is a Canon T6/1300D not a T6i.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

tjlmicro, welcome aboard!

Yes, a sync cord from camera hot shoe to flash should solve your problems.

The exact units that I have are no longer sold, but anything with a compatible pinout should work OK.

This one comes up quickly at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Camera-Fl ... B00YUAMMU2 .

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I use a YN565EX and a Canon 7D, a different but comparable system. After some attempts I got it working as slave (I don't remember the settings) but anyway I found much more convenient a hot shoe cord exactly as suggested by Rik.
ETTL-2 is very useful in general photography but I find that manual much more controllable (less variations between frames) and inducing less vibrations if you use the camera on live view mode. What I do is having the camera connected to the computer via USB and controlled by Canon Utilities: you can see the live image, make test shots and control the flash settings from the screen.

Maybe you could find useful the FAQs on this subject: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 63#p161563
Pau

tjlmicro

Post by tjlmicro »

Sorry for the lateness of my reply, but thanks to both Rik and Pau for their helpful comments. I did get a hot shoe cord and have been having fun taking photos using my flash and learning how to make it work. Thanks again!

Tim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic