mini aquarium

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

mini aquarium

Post by NikonUser »

Sorting through some old files and found this from December 2007.
Image quality not the best, hope to think I have improved in the past 7 years.
Anyway, a simple technique for small aquatics.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

See also http://www.micromagus.net/index_micro.html for a variant on this idea, allowing different thickness cells
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I've done it with hot glue alone between the glass layers. The thickness or the glue bead can be varied to permit different cell thickness; multiple beads of hot glue can be stacked to create considerable cell thickness.

And of course, a cover slip also makes a nice front, with less thickness.

--Chris

GemBro

Post by GemBro »

That's a great idea NU ... perfect for horizontal scope viewing, like in my case ... as in create one using 2 slides it'll even clamp in the vertical 'X-Y Stage' with a little help ...

And the glue gun idea, brilliant ...
Canon 550D(T2i) ML (Nightly Builds) | Canon 5D MKII | Raynox 250 | Palinar 35mm f2.8 (reversed) | EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 N | EL-Nikkor 50mm f4 | Bellows | Objectives: LOMO 3.7x 0.11 : 8x 0.20 : 40x 0.65
RiG II - 'Bamboo': Olympus CH Focus Block with Inverted Arca/Swiss | Canon 430 EX (x2) | Olympus T20 flash (x2) | Youngnuo YN-622C Wireless triggers (x3) | Ikea Jansjo 3W LED Lighting (x3)
Stepper Motor Focusing System (Helicon Remote)

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

As Graham pointed it is an old idea.
Worth reminding people about it. As terrestrial life 'disappears' in northern NA there is still lots to be found in water.
As long as there is liquid water there will be a multitude of species in the sediment and amongst anything in the water column such as aquatic plants and even garbage.
If the surface is frozen break through - been there, done that - and scoop up some of the bottom sediment. Much of the life will be microscopic but there will also be macro stuff that can be imaged using such a device.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic