HD pictures & video with Samsung Galaxy S2 on a microsco

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fastuno

HD pictures & video with Samsung Galaxy S2 on a microsco

Post by fastuno »

Is this guy for real & is this possible? Is there an adapter that one can buy to attach a Samsung Galaxy S2 to a microscope?

The video here looks like it is in HD & is amazing!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9va0KPr ... =endscreen

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: HD pictures & video with Samsung Galaxy S2 on a micr

Post by rjlittlefield »

fastuno wrote:Is this guy for real & is this possible?
Sure. Optically a cell phone camera is pretty similar to a human eye. Just place the camera lens at the appropriate position over the eyepiece and you're good to go. The formal term for this setup is "afocal".
Is there an adapter that one can buy to attach a Samsung Galaxy S2 to a microscope?
Consider http://www.skylightscope.com/. Probably there are others, and making one yourself should be pretty straightforward. All you need to do is suspend the phone over the eyepiece so that the hole in the lens is at the same place that the pupil of your eye would normally go.

I just now checked with my HTC Droid Incredible 2 looking into my old aus Jena Laboval 2 microscope with FN 16.5 10X eyepieces. With the camera set to wide angle it sees the full width of the field with an obvious circular mask. At max zoom, the eyepiece field just fills the camera frame, clear into the corners.
The video here looks like it is in HD & is amazing!!!!
It does look nice. Obviously the fellow knows how to prepare good blood slides and set up his microscope to view them.

--Rik

fastuno

Post by fastuno »

Nice find on the Skylight. So this Skylight has no optics, it just has an adapter for the eyepiece & base to stabilize the phone?

When I manually place my Galaxy S2 phone over the eyepiece, it looks so distant & it is not what I want to see. There needs to be some optic between the phone & the eyepiece?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

So this Skylight has no optics, it just has an adapter for the eyepiece & base to stabilize the phone?
Correct, no optics. The Skylight is just for mechanical stabilization.
When I manually place my Galaxy S2 phone over the eyepiece, it looks so distant & it is not what I want to see.
To find the best placement, start with the phone's camera touching the eyepiece. Get the lens centered over the eyepiece, then start moving it backward away from the eyepiece. When the camera is touching the eyepiece, probably there will be a lot of black around the microscope image, with a fuzzy border. This border is due to vignetting -- light from the edge of the eyepiece field is not getting through the camera lens because the lens is too close to the eyepiece. As you move the camera away from the eyepiece, the border will expand and its edge will get sharper. At some point, the border will either become crisp or will expand enough that the microscope image fills the entire frame. That's the right placement. It can be pretty picky, as in moving the camera by a couple of mm can completely mess things up.

Quite possibly there will be a lot of black border when the camera is set on its maximum wide angle. Check your camera manual to see if it has some sort of zoom capability. In a quick search I didn't see any evidence that the S2 has an optical zoom, but I did find the snippet that "Digital Zoom: The volume button on your Galaxy S II also serves as the zoom control. Adjust the button to zoom in and out as much as 4x digital zoom." At 8 megapixels, the camera has about 4 times the pixels that are needed for HD, so if they did it right, a 2X digital zoom should still look pretty good.

If you can't get it to look decent, please post an image captured by the camera so that we can see the same thing you're seeing.
There needs to be some optic between the phone & the eyepiece?
That optic would be essentially a low power telescope. I'm not aware of such a beast but perhaps there is one.

--Rik

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

fastuno

The SkyLight is a nice platform to hold pretty much any cell phone in line with an eyepiece. I have a couple of them I've used for outreach and a little teacher training. If you've tried manually lining up a cell phone camera with the eyepiece you know how difficult it can be. The SkyLight just provides a relatively stable platform you can easily adjust to line up the camera and keep it in position. It works well for that.

It's a little tedious to line up, so having several kids try to use it for their cell phones one after another, is a bit time consuming, and didn't work as well as I'd hoped. But for one person, not swapping cell phones back and forth, it's pretty useful. I shot one of the photos (onion root tip mitosis) on their website with the prototype SkyLight and my Droid Charge during their Kickstarter campaign. I was pretty pleased with the result.

Tom

fastuno

Post by fastuno »

Yes, I will be back on this thread to show the result for sure.

I am new to this site & forum. Have others taken an interest in observing human blood? I have a lot of people around me getting various symptoms & they just appear to be popping up all over the place. Close to 20 people in just one block, but not limited to here. People from NY, CT, NJ, Staten Island.

My dentist, couple people at realtors, at doctors, at car dealer, people I run to at garage sales. It is getting to be overwhelming.

When I did some research I found out there are thousands of others & they all have a common theme, they were all bit by tick or various other biting insects, including mosquitoes. The tests are horrible & give so many false negatives. Yet I see these things in peoples blood.

As it turns out it is a GLOBAL EPIDEMIC & growing faster than AIDS. The US admittedly grossly misreports cases & it is likely to be in the hundreds of thousands, but more likely in the millions.

Germany did do a study and they found it that there are
ONE MILLION NEW CASES OF LYME IN GERMANY IN JUST 2012 ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.wellsphere.com/lyme-disease- ... 12/1780775

One group of research took 10 random people from the airport & discovered that 7 out of 10 had it and they did not even know it.
It is getting to be a really bad epidemic. There is a DVD documentary that shows this too and you can watch it for free at hulu.com:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/268761

Anyway, how much of in interest do you think there would be here for people to look for answers? It seems this group is more knowledgeable about Micro capture than the doctors & scientists out there. I think time-lapsed photography would yield grand results and buy clues.

Here are some weak video I took with a 9MP Amscope video camera.

White Blood Cell that contain many Borrelia (Spirochete) cysts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc6Lqi8kJi4

When the blood sample has been left out for some time & the external conditions are right, the Spirochetes come out of the Red Blood Cells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUUk5M86c4

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

fastuno, I regret the necessity, but let me put a stop to this right now.

This site is dedicated to photography. If you want help on how to get a decent picture through your microscope, we will be happy to help with that topic.

However, photomacrography.net is not an appropriate forum on which to discuss the latest breathless reports of global epidemics that are somehow being mishandled by the medical community.

There are other forums for that.

Now that our membership knows that you are interested in such things, any of them who is also interested can reach you by PM or email to follow up.

'Nuf said, OK?

--Rik (the lead Administrator)

fastuno

Post by fastuno »

Yes & Oh I am sorry.

I was just trying to warn others, as I wish I was warned and to hopefully enlighten people with this possible interest.

I won't say anymore if it is not allowed then.

Thanks for all your help.

_sem_

Post by _sem_ »

I recall some folks were shooting bloodcells with smartphones even without a microscope. They were using ca 1mm ball lenses just in front of the lens. Images surely not as good :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic