How many pixels wide is your monitor? (Poll closed now.)

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

How many pixels wide is your monitor?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:55 pm

13%
29%
4%
13%
1920 or larger
42%

Total votes: 24

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

How many pixels wide is your monitor? (Poll closed now.)

Post by rjlittlefield »

We're looking at increasing the maximum size of images that can be posted at photomacrography.net .

The maximum size that will work well depends on how many pixels wide your monitor is.

If the exact size is not listed, please select the next smaller number, for example if you have 1680, select 1600.

--Rik
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

I have no idea. I suppose I'd better have a look in the depths of my computer to find out. :D Something to do tomorrow.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

:D
Go to you your "Desktop", right-click on the background - clouds or whatever, then select the Properties tab. :smt104

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Ha! - looks like we only get one vote... I voted for my home monitor, but also use a netbook with 1024 width.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

My 2c's: make a small size increase (to match 1280x1024 monitors).

If members really want to show how wonderful their images are when full size just link to something on your own site / gallery like many already do ?

Andrew

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

mine is 1280 x 800 and it took me forever to find it.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Mine is 1680 x 1050 and adjustable but I have dial-up (broadband is scheduled before the end of 2009).

I have downloaded images from some sites which fill about nine screens! That is tedious.

There is another forum where half a dozen or more huge files are posted at once and they all download at the same time. Life is too short to bother with them.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

My 2c's: make a small size increase (to match 1280x1024 monitors).
If members really want to show how wonderful their images are when full size just link to something on your own site / gallery like many already do ?
Sounds ok. I don't know anything about having my own website - I suppose it'll come some day. BUt there are several - photobucket, imageshack...?
I always want to see bigger pics of others' photos!
I have heard rumours of some (flickr?) claiming rights to your pictures? Anyone know?

Site rule could be that any link states how big the download is?

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

I think I'm on the small side - 1152 x 864. Thanks to Chris for advising how to even find these .... dimensions.
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Getting a bigger monitor was a revelation, especially for things like Photoshop where there's clutter on the screen. 24 inch ones aren't toooo expensive now. 1920 wide is fine if I use weak reading glasses, but I can't be bothered most of the time so run it at 1440 or 1600 usually.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Chris:

My monitor is setup for 1920px wide. However, with Mozilla Firefox I can "Ctrl -" or "Ctrl +" and, almost instantaneously, decrease/increase the size of text/images from too small to very large.

Question: Am I losing something, or what's the benefit of setting the monitor to 1440 or 1600?
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

NU the 'benefit' of using a lower resolution is that all your 'windows' fonts will be bigger, the stuff outside the browser window which is as you say easily resized...

However assuming a modern LCD screen, weird things can happen if you run at a non native resolution. (If you run at 1/2 resolution then it generally looks okay but otherwise you tend to get odd effects).

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

NikonUser wrote:Chris:

My monitor is setup for 1920px wide. However, with Mozilla Firefox I can "Ctrl -" or "Ctrl +" and, almost instantaneously, decrease/increase the size of text/images from too small to very large.

Question: Am I losing something, or what's the benefit of setting the monitor to 1440 or 1600?
lauriek is correct. Your 1920 pixel monitor is actually 1920 pixels wide. If you set it to 1440, your monitor will attempt to use 1920 pixels to display 1440 pixels worth of information. Think of what happens when you enlarge a picture by 33% - you get artifacts which can't always be repaired.

In Windows, I set the "DPI" setting (Display Properties->Settings tab ->Advanced->General) to a higher value. The most obvious disadvantage I've found so far is most icons are designed for 96 DPI, so they look chunky.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Interesting poll. I have often wondered about this. I have a large 19" monitor 1440 pixel but due to size constraints on my desk, the business monitor I have (1024) is more convenient. :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

I know it'll be obvious and I'm gonna feel stupid when you tell me, but.....how do I enter my screen size poll data?

btw I have 24" at 1920px wide.

Bruce:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic