Seeking some hints and tips for my bellows

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

VR8

Seeking some hints and tips for my bellows

Post by VR8 »

I have acquired a Sb-6 bellows and 50mm 2.8 Companon-S lens. I have been scouring this website looking for hints. I have some lighting solutions both flash and LED. I have a Kirk focusing rail and Photoshop. I would like to see what can be done with this. kit before investing further. My subjects to start will be simple things around the house, moss. lichen. I am interested in knowing

1. if I should reverse the lens from the start.
2. What fstops to experiment with or best with the combination.
3. Ideas on a focusing stage I can place my subjects on.
4. The Sb-6 has a focusing rail, should I use the kirk as cross axis, or for the focus stage.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
Victor Rakmil

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I see your kit 'o bits is growing Victor!
1.) Yes reverse it, for 1:1 and greater magnifications. You may need a tube of black paper or similar on its exposed rear end, to act as a lens hood.
2) the higher the magnification the larger the aperture you need, to avoid diffraction blur, BUT:
- you probably need to stop the lens down to f/5.6 or so for its best aperture
- it depends how critical you are, in terms of final image or "print" size
- towards 1:1 you may well find that there's little to be gained going larger than perhaps f/11, and of course you need fewer steps in your stack.

3) One thing a few of us used is a spare lens stood on end, for up/down adjustment. A macro lens is best of course for height variation. (As long as it's not "internal focusing"!)
Spare small tripod heads and cheap Chinese x-y rails are also handy. Something heavy and ferrous, with the subject on a magnet, is also popular.
A "Helping Hand" thingy is crude, but versatile and cheap.
There's a bunch of contraptions available from microscope suppliers with swinging needles, and the like.

4) Is it a Nikon PB-6?. As we mentioned in a previous answer, the steps you need to make are getting tricky on a standard bellows focus rail. If you do the sums, you find that coarser steps can be used on the rear "standard" of a bellows to achieve fine focus-plane movements. If you don't fancy the sums, eyeball it and take excess frames!

I'd suggest you start with flash, because movement is such a bogey. A large sheet of ordinary or tissue paper, near/around the subject, is fine as a simple diffuser.

I think the biggest problem you'll have, for now, is making fine-enough focus steps. I don't know what the rail you have can do, but its surprising how much can be achieved with care, and a clothes-peg on a focus knob to give more precision.

Photoshop isn't the ultimate stacker, but I think for lichens and the like you'll be fine.
Have fun!

VR8

Post by VR8 »

Thanks. Yes its a Pb-6.
Thanks for the suggestions!
For diffusion I have some Lee filter material I have been using with the Nikon R1C1. Those flashes should well with this, and the LEDs should help me set up my shot.
I have a helping hand and I will try that for some of the material, or an old ball head and pins.
Can you point me somewhere where I can look at the math on coarse bellow movements?

Thanks
Victor Rakmil

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The maths - it's been a while...
Pick an aperture and look up/work out the depth of field you'll get from that. (I have a much-altered spreadsheet for that.)
Then make another spreadsheet and the basic (simple) lens formula
1/v + 1/u = 1/f
to give you a set of bellows-draw measurements, or step increments.
Or a single calculation to give you an idea.
I did it a couple of times, then found it was OK to judge focus bands by eye and "underdo" the steps, then got a better stage.

The "5x" table is here somewhere, I'll try to find it.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That took a while to find :)
http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewt ... 3299#43299
If you look at the leftmost part of the table, you'd be moving the sensor ~about~ 5mm instead of moving the subject, or lens + sensor, 0.2mm. A lot easier.
Disadvantages - the magnification changes as you go, which gives the stacking program more work to do, and wastes the edges of your sensor at one end of the travel.

VR8

Post by VR8 »

I am very grateful.
While I can use a spreadsheet, this s higher math for me. So it will take some time for me to worth through.
Great to have this as a project, it will make the winter go faster!
I am going to start with some very simple flat plan things, before stacking, just to make sure I have the framing, focusing, lighting, stability etc. right.
Then I will do a simple stack and see how it goes.
Much appreciated.
Victor Rakmil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic