Choosing my first automatic rail

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nvlass

Choosing my first automatic rail

Post by nvlass »

Greetings to all of you.
I am very excited about this, even though I am new to it all.
I am making a decision for my new rai, as the title indicates.l
Long story short in Europe I have access to WeMacro rail vs so many choices from MJKZZ I think ultra series is best for what I will use. I will use a 10x objective Nikon or the mitutoyu I will see how the budget goes. Also I have the canon mpe65mm 1-5x.
I may have looked at this forum in the wrong place, but I tried to find some information or a comparison.
I would appreciate your advice if you could assist me.
Thanks
Nikos

FotoChris

Re: Choosing my first automatic rail

Post by FotoChris »

The MJKZZ is beefy, robust, precise and you can upgrade to even more sturdy rails different motors etc using the same controller - which is pretty neat.

I have the Ultra MINI V2 with the IR-Controller and have successfully used it with up to approx. 34x magnification, now I'm transitioning to a larger THK rail and it's pretty cool that I can use a lot of the stuff I already have with a few minor adaptations.

And if the motor ever stops working or the rail gets damaged it's simple enough to service the gear yourself.

Personally I'm also very fond of the 2080 aluminum profile plates the Ultra MINI is mounted to, I've build several setups around these profiles and they're pretty cheap, widely available and allow for stable, custom builds.

The WeMacro is definitely cheaper and well built - but also not quite as precise and not that easy to service/replace parts - I'm not a fan of proprietary plugs or cables.

nvlass

Re: Choosing my first automatic rail

Post by nvlass »

Thank you !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic