Another Spider From ME

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

thartl

Another Spider From ME

Post by thartl »

I am really intriqued by how similar every spider looks in real life and how different each one is under these magnifications. The eyes on this one really stuck out to me - different placement than the others I have been shooting. I have a stack of the back of the abdomen - but it isn't done yet so I will do these three and get back to that one later. This little bugger would NOT hold still for very long and when he did he took a huddled defensive position and I couldn't get a good angle on the shot.

I took off the 1.4 extender - this guy still was pretty small - about 4mm long maybe. These were shot 1/125s ISO 250 f8 - canon 5dmkii kenko tubes, 135mm (at f8) and reversed 50mm. Stacked in ZS and lightened in ps and a touch of sharpening (I am coming around on that one.) One was cropped a bit.

My goal was to get the entire forground and as much detail as I could in focus, I didn't not get the entire forground in focus - but i will keep working at it. I am very pleased with these results - anyone want a canon 1.4 extender? Haha Just kidding.

This one was rotated 180 I think. Also this was its defensive huddled position, which I thought was very interesting up close - almost like it was flattening its back out. I intentionally left space to the left of the spider.

Moved so this was a stack of 20 I think - I made too many very small movements on the focus ring - intentionally left space to the top right, but accidentally cut the legs out of the frame - darn it.

Ok my favorite, but something happened in the stack the bumbed me out. When I saw it in camera I could see more of the anther at the top right, and I also could see one leg pulling tight on the string of the web, (the portion in the frame was dangling loose the portion out of the frame was taut.) He was balancing hence the weird angle. Well those portions got cropped out in the stack process (myfault for not leaving enough room.) Anyway - I left it its original angle because no other angle looked natural to me. And can you notice the large hairless lump behind the 4th appendage? There is one on each side and I thought those were interesting even though i didn't know what they were?

thanks for looking!
Tyler

Still Learning!

morfa

Post by morfa »

Lovely series Tyler!

I think the first one is my favorite. I really like the unusual composition in this shot!

/John

thartl

Post by thartl »

Here is the abdomen - I think I can identify this spider as a Garden Orb Weaving Spider? Am I way off? Anyone have a suggestion?

You can see the web in this one too.
Tyler

Still Learning!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic