Green lacewing larva (Chrysopa sp.) with aphid

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Green lacewing larva (Chrysopa sp.) with aphid

Post by Charles Krebs »

I watched a couple of these larvae actively hunting in the central disk of some daisies. They were so covered with pollen that at first I could not identify them. On occasion they would walk up and down the length of a petal looking for a meal, where this one found an aphid. Sucked it dry in about 3 or 4 minutes! :shock:

It was quite breezy out, so it was nearly impossible to focus. I carefully picked the flower and set it down on an outdoor table.

This was photographed at a little over 3:1 with the Canon 65mm MPE. For DOF purposes I was only able to get two shots where it was relatively still. Those two were stacked in ZS.

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Nice find / catch, Charlie ... am curious about the settings / lighting / setup etc - any chance of adding these, please?

Ta

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Paul,
Extremely low-tech :wink:
Nothing more than a piece of white paper held atop a hot-shoe mounted flash to bounce enough light onto the subject. I used an aperture of f6.4 (which would make the effective aperture somewhere near f26) and an ISO of 200. The 65mm MPE was tripod mounted on the Novoflex focusing rail that I normally use with this lens.

The 65mm MPE is a tricky one to light effectively with a "mounted" flash, because of the short working distance, the diameter of the front of the lens, and the degree to which it extends when focused closely. The Canon MT-24EX and Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX are the easiest solutions since they attach to the front and move with the lens as it extends. One "downside" is that they are expensive. Another "downside" is that they position the light source very close to the subject, which can make the "depth-of-even-illumination" very shallow. Depending on the subject and composition, this might result in "bright" objects in the foreground, and/or rapid darkening as objects get more distant.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the result using this low-tech solution. (Not too useful for verticals though :cry:)

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Charles Krebs wrote:(Not too useful for verticals though :cry:)
Why not just have your paper rubberbanded on the side of the flash - which is now the top surface ? Another quick'n'easy one I thought of while sitting on a bumpy commuter flight recently was to use a white barf bag banded to the flash to form a tube and cut out a window over where your subject would be. Haven't tried it though ...

Andrew

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Thanks, Charlie for taking the time to post details etc.

It reminded me of something similar I tried before making the macro arm that I use now - still with a 550ex too.

<< One "downside" is that they are expensive >>

Indeed - Have been tempted, but have resisted - and the 550 is fine for std photos too.

<< Not too useful for verticals though >>

True - but not a problem here, since my macro rig includes a landscape / portrait 'flipper'.

A good result though :)

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Those mandibles are so typical of lacewing larvae.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Yikes.. looks very sharp indeed.. wouldn't want to mess with it.

Lovely photo. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Aynia wrote:Yikes.. looks very sharp indeed.. wouldn't want to mess with it.
They're small but they'll take on a person anyway, I learned! (HERE)

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I used to run lab cultures of C. carnea and, if I was late with the daily feeding, I got quite a few bites from the larvae.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nicely captured, Charlie and the larva!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic