Stereo (3D) Images Going Large

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

Stereo (3D) Images Going Large

Post by AlP »

A while back (July 12, 2022) I posted an image of a fly haltere and calypter in this forum. A couple of days later Rik Littlefield reached out to me inquiring if I could make the source images available so he could create a stereo image. As Rik stated, "I find that complicated anatomy like this looks great in stereo, which Zerene Stacker can make from a single stack as described HERE." Heck, why not, I uploaded the 148 RAW images taken with an old Canon 30D which amounted to just under 7 meg file size each.
Three days later Rik posted two stereo images after working his magic, one "full frame" and another cropped keying more into the calypter . For some reason the cross-eyed stereo just doesn't work for me. However...

I run a 3D capable DLP projector (native 1920 x 1080) in my home theatre with an eleven foot screen. It got me to thinking why can I not use it for the stereo images. I inquired of Rik and he stated that he had done so in the past when 3D televison sets "was a thing" at Best Buy. Okay, how are we going to go about this then. To which he responded by sending me a MPO file. Hhmmm, a file extension I have never heard of before. I did a Google search and found some so called "online viewers". I had no luck with the ones I tried. In the meantime Rik sent me another couple of stereo files in JPEG.

This past week I decided to view all the images ( the past month I have had technical issues with a new A/V receiver, all resolved now). Doing a Google search I found 3D Stereo Photo Viewer for my Android streaming box on Google Play. It's free and a quick install. The app supports the stereo file formats MPO and JPS in addition to parallel (side-by-side) left/right JPG, PNG files, and individual left/right files. It has a lousy rating of 1.7/5 on Google Play. For my needs, it works great.

Friday night is my main movie night. Since I don't run trailers, a buddy and I looked at the stereo images before watching Top Gun (1986) in 3D. I should mention that my system uses active shutter 3D glasses. First up was a flower stamen image (1 meg JPEG) that Rik had sent me. Wow! Next up was the "full frame" stereo image Rik had posted to my original fly haltere and calypter posting (290 KB JPEG). Ghastly! Thinking for a moment, I turned on 3D Sync Invert and it corrected the ghastly to wow. I have had this issue with some 3D movies in the past, not sure why. Last up was the cropped image (298 KB JPEG). If I didn't know what I was looking at, I would have thought I was in a marine setting on the ocean floor. Standing up and walking towards the screen even gave it more wow as I was looking into the calypter. Double wow factor! Totally immersive.

Yesterday (Saturday), Rik sent me a large file (8 meg JPEG) of the "full frame". I was curious to see if more resolution would be any better than what is usually posted here at near 300 KB. Doing an A/B comparison between 8 meg versus 290 KB, there was just a slight smidgen of sharper in the 8 meg file. But, 4566 x 2326 versus 1024 x 526 isn't fair. Knocking the 4599 file down to the same as the 1024 , I then ran it through Topaz Denoise for another experiment. The Canon 30D at ISO 400 isn't exactly "clean". The Denoise added a little more "pop" in the image with more definition (true or false) in the texture and hairs, bringing up the wow factor another couple of notches to my eyes.
2022-07-13-22.39.22 ZS stereo_000_crop1_small_fp (2).jpg
Original stereo image posted by Rik
2022-07-13-22 39 22 ZS stereo_000_crop1_1920 denoise copy 1024.jpg
Image I ran through Topax Denoise

I, not having the ability to grasp the cross-eye stereo view (probably from when I was a toddler and my mother saying "don't do that, blah, blah, blah...") I'll rely on my system downstairs. Anyway, this is our little experience/experiment with stereo images. Al.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Stereo (3D) Images Going Large

Post by rjlittlefield »

Al, thanks for the update and further information.

I'm very glad to hear that you were eventually able to display my stereo images on your projector system.

The need to use 3D Sync Invert with some my images was because the first image I had sent you was laid up for parallel viewing, while the later ones were laid up for crossed-eye. As for your movies, I am not familiar with 3D movie formats, but I can only assume there is some similar ambiguity in the "standard" for how left/right is encoded.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Re: Stereo (3D) Images Going Large

Post by Smokedaddy »

The image looks great to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic