Monarch

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pizzazz

Monarch

Post by Pizzazz »

Hi Gang

I found the chrysalis in my back yard and decided to see what it would become, which is a Monarch Butterfly.

The chrysalis shot probably had some motion during stacking but I wanted to share the before and after.

I let the butterfly out onto a flowering plant and it rested there for about 15 minutes. It did not move its wings
very often, and when it did I had to compete with a slight breeze.

So, although the shots could be better, I wanted to share the story.

Mike

2021-03-29-18.33.37-ZS-retouched_WEB.jpg

2021-03-29-20.00.20-ZS-retouched_WEB.jpg

DSC_4109_WEB.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Re: Monarch

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I think you did well!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Pizzazz

Re: Monarch

Post by Pizzazz »

Mark and all

Let me tell you its gets stranger...

I had recently washed out a large cooler to prepare for an upcoming trip.
I had the cooler resting against the side of my garage to let it dry, and I had it there for several days.

I placed the cooler in the garage and closed the lid. All in all it sat closed for about 4 to 5 days.

Two days ago, I am in the garage in the early evening and I am hearing a slight noise coming from inside of it.
I opened the lid and unbelievably, there was a Monarch butterfly flapping around!

Somehow, and I do not know how, the caterpillar made its way onto the cooler and placed itself on the underside of the lid
and that is where the chrysalis was formed. I have no photos of this, but I let the butterfly perch on my hand and placed
it on the same plant that I had for the photos in this thread. I thought it would rest there as it had literally been "in the dark"
ever since it eclosed, but nope... it decided to move on.

So my curiosity is how in the heck did the caterpillar crawl from what ever plant it was feeding on across grass and possible cement
(the side walk) and make its final destination onto the cooler?

Any of you with backgrounds in entomology could please add feedback.

Mark - as a side, I did not get notice of your reply to this post, although I do have it set in my options.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic