Stink Bug.

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Billy B

Stink Bug.

Post by Billy B »

Came across this guy ( or girl ) while hunting for jumping spiders. After some online research, I've come to the conclusion that it's a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, which is invasive here in California as well as other states throughout the U.S. It is especially
2021-01-24-17-35-19-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-1.jpg
2021-01-24-15-00-01-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-1.jpg
2021-01-24-15-51-17-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-1.jpg
2021-01-24-14-35-15-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)-1.jpg
damaging to Pistachio crops.
It's amazing the ability some creatures have to blend in with their surroundings.

JSkory

Re: Stink Bug.

Post by JSkory »

Very nice pictures. Funny you mentioned them blending into the background as I was thinking the same as I looked at the pictures.

Tonikon

Post by Tonikon »

Another incredible case of camouflage...

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very good. These come into our house in the winter over here. Being starved for buggy companionship during these cold months, I don't mind them.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Billy B

Post by Billy B »

Are these also known as Shield Bugs ? I have photos of a green one that I'll post sometime.

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

The Brown ammoraited Stink Bug first surfaced here in Allnentown Pennsylvania. They have become a way of life, and I can spot them on windows in huge spaces. The worst thing is that they are, like moths, attracted to light. So, if you are reading in bed you hear this distinctive buzz and then have to search the bastige out in order to get a good nights sleep.

Mike

Oh, I forgot to say, I hate 'em.
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

They're here in the UK too - just. First found on luggage a few years ago, they're being monitored in Kent where there's fruit production. It's thought our summers aren't quite warm enough for them, but climate change has brought us some warm ones.
I imagine we'll see them establish.
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic