Dragonfly Sexual Dimorphism and More

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Dragonfly Sexual Dimorphism and More

Post by svalley »

In many dragonfly species the males and females look different, but in some cases there are multiple forms of females. Females that look different from males in markings or coloration are called gynomorphs and females that resemble males are called andromorphs.

This is a male Rhionaeschna multicolor.
Rhionaeschna-multicolor-male-head-lat-3x-1024.jpg
A gynomorph female Rhionaeschna multicolor.
Rhionaeschna-multicolor-female-head-lat-3x-1024.jpg
An andromorph female Rhionaeschna multicolor. Usually the andromorphs are much less common than the gynomorphs. It is hypothesized that andromorphs are maintained in the populations because they avoid mating harassment from males while attempting to oviposit.
Rhionaeschna-multicolor-andro-female-head-lat-3x-1-1024.jpg
I have noticed that almost every dragonfly I shot portraits of has damage of some kind to the surface of the eyes adjacent to the antennae or the zone where the antennae can contact the eye.

Dragonfly eyes have some distinct zones that are intriguing and there are optical effects and optical illusions that change depending on the optical axis of the viewer. The transition line between distinct upper (larger diameter ommatidia) and lower (smaller diameter ommatidia) portions of the eye may differ between species and to a lesser extent between the sexes.

Focus stacking can capture amazing details, but nothing can compare to the wonderous view of a living dragonfly's eye.

Rhionaeschna-multicolor-male-head-dors-3x-1024.jpg
Rhionaeschna-multicolor-gyno-female-head-dors-3x-1024.jpg

All shot with a Nikon D810 with a 50mm Rodenstock APO enlarging lens reverse mounted on a Nikon PB-4 bellows, Stackshot, Zerene Stacker, and Photoshop.

Steve
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Dragonfly Sexual Dimorphism and More

Post by Pau »

Great portraits and interesting info, Steve
Pau

MarkSturtevant

Re: Dragonfly Sexual Dimorphism and More

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very engrossing! Their eyes are indeed a marvel. Just as a kind of hand-wavy generalization, different kinds of ommatidia are sensitive to different kinds of light, and different visual acuity. That's all I got.
I have seen the different forms of females. This also occurs in the related damselflies. When one watches how females are constantly harassed by males, one can appreciate how resembling a male will be an advantage.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic