Amber Inclusion Treehopper (Homoptera Membracidae)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Phil973

Amber Inclusion Treehopper (Homoptera Membracidae)

Post by Phil973 »

Cute little (+/- 4.0mm) Homoptera Membracidae (treehopper) inclusion in Dominican Amber.
XT2
Metabones Speedbooster / PB-6 Vertical
Lomo 3.7
Stackshot (+/- 150 images)
Helicon + Lr + Ps
Treehopper.jpg

abpho

Re: Amber Inclusion Treehopper (Homoptera Membracidae)

Post by abpho »

Interesting subject. I looked at your YouTube channel. The images you show in the Diptera with Live Water and large Air Bubble video are stellar. The amber is the clearest I've seen.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Phil973

Post by Phil973 »

abpho wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:14 pm
Interesting subject. I looked at your YouTube channel. The images you show in the Diptera with Live Water and large Air Bubble video are stellar. The amber is the clearest I've seen.
Dominican amber is less known than Baltic one but is by far clearer with a wide variety of very interesting specimens. Also as i process myself all specimens prior taking photograph i do not hesitate to remove all the unwanted inclusions and reduce if needed significantly the size of the amber piece in order to obtain the best looking balance.

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

PHIL973
Do you mill the amber and then smooth itm with hotmwater?

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Phil973

Post by Phil973 »

Olympusman wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:46 pm
PHIL973
Do you mill the amber and then smooth itm with hotmwater?

Mike
Sorry but i don't really understand the question.
Are you talking about the process from the rough amber piece?

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Yes - how do you prpare the amber for photography. Do you mill it thinner and then smooth it with hot water?
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Phil973

Post by Phil973 »

Olympusman wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:10 am
Yes - how do you prpare the amber for photography. Do you mill it thinner and then smooth it with hot water?
I try to shape the amber piece to present the inclusion on a as ideal position as possible.
The focus here is not not to have a piece as thin as possible but yes to have the inclusion highly visible from dorsal & ventral part.
As i process my specimens in my Dominican workshop, climate there is pretty hot so i don't use hot water no... :lol:
For the photograph, specimens are place between 2 microscope specimens holders (glass) cover by water based lubricant gel in order to "flatten" the field of view (like when you put a diving mask on water surface at the beach, suddenly the underwater appears very clear).
I found this approach more convenient than getting the specimen immersed on a fluid as it allows to be positioned more accurately.
Of course, the amber specimen deserve a nice "mirror" polish this to be viewed with a regular 10 jewelry magnifier but for high magnification photography (by my experience) the polish is not really a key aspect.
Hope this help

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic