Another micro-mineral fan

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JL

Another micro-mineral fan

Post by JL »

As several forum members do, I enjoy the challenges of trying to get a good picture of the miniature crystals that can be found in rocks. I am still way behind those guys in the learning curve, but I am working on that.

Thus far, I have learned that not all crystals that look nice under the microscope will produce a good picture. Clusters of crystals, and subjects in numerous planes, are a recipe for halos, blotches and any other artifact that you can imagine.

I am doing relatively fine down to some 5mm FOV. However, getting to smaller field of views, identifying the target, aligning it to get a clear view and finally illuminating it properly, is a great exercise on patience.

The following photos are from a mineral from the series Clinozoisite - Epidote. An aluminum and calcium silicate, iron bearing in the epidote end member.

The lens used is a reversed canon FD 28mm mounted on extension tubes (37mm), producing a FOV of 7mm.

ploum

Post by ploum »

;) welcome in this world
I work with a manfrotto 454 but uncommon system :).
Objectives : BW APO PLAN 5x, Mitutoyo APO PLAN 7.5x, 10x, 20x and 50x, Seiwa APO PLAN 20x, BW APO PLAN 20x, Seiwa APO PLAN 10x, Nikon CF PLAN 50x, componon APO 40 mm, Componon 50 mm, Componon S 80 mm, Componon 105 mm, Componon 150 mm, Rodagon 135 mm.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic