Lacewing larva, not scale insect

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Lacewing larva, not scale insect

Post by lauriek »

From above

From below

And a bit closer (Pointy)

First two with OM38/2.8 and last with Nikon 10x/0.30 CFN. Stacks of 37, 40 and 84 composited with Zerene PMAX

As usual, any confirmation/help with ID appreciated..
Last edited by lauriek on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Very nice images. The insect appears to have covered itself with plant hairs probably from the underside of the leaves of the plants it lives on. What plant did you find it on? These plant hairs usually interact strongly with polarised light. It would be interesting to look at this beast with incident polarised light +/- retarders.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

I don't recall scale insects having such large mandibles, they (scales) are Hemiptera. These large mandibles remind me of a Lacewing larva, Neuroptera unless they have been re-classified.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I'm an idiot!

I didn't know lacewing larva did the 'cover themselves in debris' thing.

And you know when I was post processing these I was thinking, those mandibles remind me of something.

Thanks guys!

Dave, I'm afraid I don't have that kind of equipment, might have a polarising lens around somewhere for a regular lens, but I don't even know what a retarder is (something microsopey I suspect?)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

lauriek wrote:I'm an idiot!

I didn't know lacewing larva did the 'cover themselves in debris' thing.

And you know when I was post processing these I was thinking, those mandibles remind me of something.

Thanks guys!

Dave, I'm afraid I don't have that kind of equipment, might have a polarising lens around somewhere for a regular lens, but I don't even know what a retarder is (something microsopey I suspect?)
Youll need two polarizers, crossed,to get the interference effects. Unfortunately theyre not cheap! I have no idea what a retarder is-I thought that was a backwards worn baseball cap ;)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I've seen a cross polarizing system for the old Olympus ringflash (from the OM days) but I doubt that would fit on the modern ringflash, and they are still quite pricey so I'm not prepared to buy one on the off chance I can rig it up.

Maybe I could do something with some of that 'cut to shape' polarizing material you can buy on the twin flash heads, I've been meaning to get hold of some of that for a while..

mant01

Post by mant01 »

Just amazing images, Ive looked through a lot of your posts lauriek and each time Im just blown away by your images.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

One way, which Ive used in the past, is to use two photographic polarizers, one over the light source, another on top of the eyepiece. But it depends on your workflow and camera attachment method.
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Incidentally to answer an earlier question I found this on a Tetrapanax rex we have in the garden..

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Tetrapanax certainly has hairs on the underside of the leaves and on the new growth so it is possible that's how the larva acquired its crowning glory of stellate hairs.

A retarder is sometimes also called a wave plate. It works by causing a phase shift in the perpendicularly polarised components of the light wave. Placed between the polariser and analyser in a polarisation setup, it produces variable colours depending on the degree of shift. It is possible to buy several types of commercial retarders or wave plates, but I have found that a variety of plastic or cellophane films give good results. The film wrapper around CDs and the wrapper on greetings cards can be particularly good. A double layer of Sellotape also works well. Rotating the retarder changes the colours.

I have used polarised incident light on a Leitz Ortholux fitted with the Orthopak incident illuminator with and without plastic film retarders with good results on fish scales. Polarising kits for incident polarisation are also available for stereo microscopes.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic